Spout runs on for 4-5 seconds after shut-off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

Reaction score
I have an 12 yr old Moen 7730 kitchen faucet with sprayer. The spout had seized up and could not be removed, so I purchased a new spout assembly, spout body, and diverter from Moen. Once everything was connected, I found that the water ran on for several seconds after the tap was shut off. However the water stops immediately when turning the tap off with the spray running, suggesting the tap and cartridge are OK. I contacted Moen and they sent me a new diverter, which made no difference when installed. They have no other suggestions to solve my problem.

The only difference I can see with this new setup vs. the old one is the use of quick-connect fittings for the sprayer hose. There are no visible leaks, and the connection seems tight enough - but could this be part of the problem?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Do you have same problem from both hot and cold.
When you said it doesn't run when using spray. You meant when you hold spray on and you secured at tap right?

Yes, it doesn't matter whether it's hot or cold setting. Yes, and when I turn the tap off while the spray is running, the water does stop running immediately. Also, when I turn the tap on again, the water runs right away, so it's not as if it's only the spout draining during the 4 or 5 seconds run-on.

Have you tried removing and cleaning the aerator?

I have found that this can happen when there is sediment clogging the aerator.

Thanks for your suggestion. It's a new spout, but there was a bit of crud in the aerator. I cleaned it out, but that didn't solve my problem. Oh well.....

Latest posts

Back