Soldering versus ProPress

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't suggest that DIY lessons sponsored by box stores was the only way to learn, did I? Homeowners need a lot of education, and there are many good educational resources. I've seen your posts recognizing that someone hired as a licensed plumber did work that you had the satisfaction of tearing out and re-doing for a hefty fee. So I think you agree with me that not all "skilled resources" are equal. Unfortunately, sometimes you don't know until you've experienced their work personally. More often, you talk with someone who is skilled, then they send their "guys" out, and you pay a big bill and have to move the wall for a slab foundation 6" or 13". Or you redo their work. Or you find another resource to fix their problems. Sometimes you wish you had done it yourself, but sometimes it can't wait.
Sure there’s crappy work fine by licensed plumbers. But most of the crappy work is done by handyman types and homeowners..

Sure some homeowners and handymen are great......most are not.

Keeps me in business so I’m not really complaining., the more crappy stuff Home Depot sells it only guarantees my phone will keep ringing., And that’s the truth.

Not to hack this thread, but I’m considering the same thing: Propress vs Solder right now.

I know solder is tried and true: and I’ve soldered a handful of fittings over the last year or so: but I’m not absolutely confident in my technique (too much solder? Not enough solder? Too much heat?).

Toss in a brass fitting, and the concern about technique compounds itself!

Propress, while more expensive, might actually leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling about the job, so I’m not checking my solder work on my house on a frequent basis. (I’m still nervous about some joints I soldered over a year ago... should I be? I dont know...)

I understand the price of the tool is expensive: but you can find some used models at slight discounts online... and there’s a few manual tools that might be worth the investment also.

The reason I’m considering one right now? My water main shutoff needs replacing on a 1” line: I’m just not confident in my ability to solder a brass ball valve on a large copper line like that. And try finding a plumber who returns a call right now...

If anybody looked at the question they person asked about the joint quality. Which were preferred. The solder joint is by far superior and easier to keep the pipe straight. Pro press is pretty reliable but not a joint you could twist and pull repeatedly. I like the solder joint just purely judging on quality joint. Ease of use and speed goes to the propress. When you don't have to clean, flux, and wipe the joints you do save time.

Not to hack this thread, but I’m considering the same thing: Propress vs Solder right now.

I know solder is tried and true: and I’ve soldered a handful of fittings over the last year or so: but I’m not absolutely confident in my technique (too much solder? Not enough solder? Too much heat?).

Toss in a brass fitting, and the concern about technique compounds itself!

Propress, while more expensive, might actually leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling about the job, so I’m not checking my solder work on my house on a frequent basis. (I’m still nervous about some joints I soldered over a year ago... should I be? I dont know...)

I understand the price of the tool is expensive: but you can find some used models at slight discounts online... and there’s a few manual tools that might be worth the investment also.

The reason I’m considering one right now? My water main shutoff needs replacing on a 1” line: I’m just not confident in my ability to solder a brass ball valve on a large copper line like that. And try finding a plumber who returns a call right now...
It also works nicely when a valve doesn't hold and you have to fix a leaking joint.

Back