Soldering copper pipe with heat gun? What about brass?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he would’ve been faster and safer just using shark bite. Heat might get fitting and solder hot. But when the solder melt on the inner pipe that hasn’t warmed up enough. It won’t stick. I think each opinion needs experience time. I have used shark bites for 16 years. Thousands are in place by my hands. Maybe 10 have failed by my poor workmanship being in a hurry. 2-3 have come with the stainless ring not in place. But the ratio is still heavy for them to have justification. Customers would rather pay less man hours then $2 in parts. And I warranty them. Just got insurance this year. Never had to worry. They are wonderful little parts. And I don’t ever have to send a green horn under a dried up house with a 1600 degree open flame. Win win win.

I have successfully used a small butane torch (Bernzomatic micro torch) when soldering a copper pipe repair in a crawl space with little room to move. The pinpoint flame is about as hot as propane but the flame is small and focused.
I do repairs on heating pipes as well as potable water pipes. I have never had a problem telling the difference between lead-free and 50/50 lead solder. The 50/50 is easier to work with on heating piping where you cannot quite get all of that water out.

I have successfully used a small butane torch (Bernzomatic micro torch) when soldering a copper pipe repair in a crawl space with little room to move. The pinpoint flame is about as hot as propane but the flame is small and focused.
I do repairs on heating pipes as well as potable water pipes. I have never had a problem telling the difference between lead-free and 50/50 lead solder. The 50/50 is easier to work with on heating piping where you cannot quite get all of that water out.
Lead solder in potable system? This is 2018. Are you sure you still put lead solder in joints?

Lead solder in potable system? This is 2018. Are you sure you still put lead solder in joints?
Read my post again: "The 50/50 is easier to work with on heating piping where you cannot quite get all of that water out."
Of course I don't use solder containing lead on potable water systems, only on heating system piping.
I am not sure why, but in New England most people use a boiler to heat, while most of the nation uses a furnace. Before Sharkbites, soldering was the only way to repair broken (often from freezing) heating pipes.

Gotcha. I know how to use lead. Just to young to ever had the opportunity to get my hands on it. The way it got typed sounded like you still use it in potable. Sry to butt in and be a butt. Lol have a good day be safe

Back