Soldering 3/4 in. Copper Tees with Overhang

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Being unemployeed I am becoming a DIY'er. So here I am leaning to solder copper pipe. Different but similar in general terms to the mil-spec soldering I learned some 20+ years ago. At present, I am working with 3/4" pipe. Next will be 1" pipes. I soldered up some tees so I could cut them open and inspect the solder penetration. The inside appears (to me) to have solder flow all the way to the end of the pipe in the cup. The outside has a good flow around the opening, maybe a little too much). There is one aspect I am puzzled over. The pipe enters far enough into the tees as to leave a lip extending out into the water flow path. Yes, these are tees from a big-box store. Is my solder flow to the bottom of the cup sufficient ? If this was on a 1" pipe and fitting, is this lip or overhang abnormal and possibly to result in turbulence and noise in the pipe ? My goal is to prepare a three ball-valve bypass manifold to be cut into the 1" water line entering the house. This bypass manifold will be for a water filtration-softener system connections. All feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

• Inside left IMG_0136.JPG
    Inside left IMG_0136.JPG
    956.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Inside Right IMG_0137.JPG
    Inside Right IMG_0137.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • Outside back IMG_0139.JPG
    Outside back IMG_0139.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • Outside left IMG_0138.JPG
    Outside left IMG_0138.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Thank you. I am heading over to a plumbing supply house early this next week to get some real fittings (with the step or stop) to work on for the actual three-valve manifold. Not going to use the big-box-store ones for the final installation. But they are an interesting learning lesson.

I put the tube against the tee, and mark the depth with a sharpie. This gives me a depth to work to.

Latest posts

Back