So new it hurts

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlightlyAmused

Reaction score
Hello all!

I spent the past 7 years working as a cable technician. It's a soul sucking job that, most days, you can turn your brain off and just do. I loved the work; doing things outdoors, climbing poles in the middle of winter, fixing problems, seeing my completed work and having pride in how it resulted.

However, the industry is dying. As a younger guy said to me "You've got big boy bills, time to find something better." So I looked around. At first I thought electrican because why not? Then my smart brain took over and I spent a month researching trades. While none seem popular at the moment (fine with me. More demand means more money) the few people who are going into trades seem to go electrican. So what is the least desired, most needed trade? Plumbing! The more I looked into it the more I loved the idea. So I looked up a few companies and cold called a bunch. My #1 choice ended up hiring me and I start in two days!

Will it be hard work? I certainly expect it to be. Will I hate my decision? I don't doubt there will be days. I've never been an office guy, tried it for 8 months and went insane, and I'm a glutton for punishment.

Joined up here to learn as much as possible through my new career and network with the faceless internet people.

Forgot to mention: I'm Chris from Michigan. Zero experience.

Back