So, I'm not quite certain what he did here

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackplmb

Reaction score
My son went through the BIG Freeze in Texas back when. He had damage but not as bad as many.

After things warmed up, he began using his AC. After awhile, he sees water working it's way through a spot on the ceiling.
He pulled the drywall down and discovered the split copper pipe. As it turns out, the pipe is the discharge from the indoor condensate pump from the AC unit.
He put a container on the floor to catch the meager flow when the pump ran to discharge.

This past Friday, he has a plumber come out to fix the split pipe.

After the temporary repair, he gave my son an estimate of $2,200 to do a permanent fix. The high cost due to 'expansion' of the copper pipe.

So, I'm writing this because I'm not exactly certain what he used for this temporary fix.

Let me know what you think he used here.

thanks, jack

PS: as an added bonus, he calls today w/ torrential rains outside and sewerage topping the tub and toilet. Sawzall near ground of exterior clean-out stopped the interior flow but not before bedroom carpets getting pretty bad.

PXL_20210502_234437159.jpg

PXL_20210516_191506250.jpg

Last edited:
That’s actually a piece of the vinyl tubing that comes with a condensation pump for discharge. Like the original installer did I run 3/8” copper for the discharge line so it’s rodent proof. I use about a 6” tail of the vinyl tube from the pump to my copper. D0477E52-2581-4F36-8624-7C98CA64E3F1.jpeg

First, why didn't the plumber just cut out the bad piece of pipe, and solder in a new piece of copper with 2 couplings? Mixing copper & plastic pipe for 1-foot repair makes no sense to me, unless copper is in *really* short supply

Second, why did the builder use what appears to be 1/2" copper for the condensate drain line in the first place? Around here, they usually install clear PVC tubing for a condensate drain; it carries a dribble of water, no pressure whatsoever. PVC plastic lasts for thousands of years, just ask any Green.
/

Minimum size for a condensate drain is 3/4". I would guess a pump could be different. We always run 3/4".

I’ll describe what I think I see.....

A piece of pex expoxied into copper couplings with hose clamps around them.

A piece of heater hose would’ve been better.....

First, why didn't the plumber just cut out the bad piece of pipe, and solder in a new piece of copper with 2 couplings? Mixing copper & plastic pipe for 1-foot repair makes no sense to me, unless copper is in *really* short supply

Second, why did the builder use what appears to be 1/2" copper for the condensate drain line in the first place? Around here, they usually install clear PVC tubing for a condensate drain; it carries a dribble of water, no pressure whatsoever. PVC plastic lasts for thousands of years, just ask any Green.
/
It looks like 3/8” copper, the same size as the refrigerant line next to it. Rodents chew through the vinyl is why we run copper

Twowaxhack: That's pretty much what I see though I'm questioning if the clamps have any effect at all.

Rickyman: Yes, rodents are a problem there. Wiring in attic has evidence of this.

Jackplmb, if you are concerned about rodents, spray or spread some peppermint oil (not with any sugar in it) on the areas. Mice don't like peppermint oil. Just make sure you don't spray it near any cats if you have any though. It's deadly to cats (can cause aspiration pneumonia and organ failure) but safe for dogs.

I’ll describe what I think I see.....
A piece of pex expoxied into copper couplings with hose clamps around them.
A piece of heater hose would’ve been better.....
Blew it up and had a close look. Looks to me like a few inches of soft Poly tube pushed over 1/2" copper pipe, then 2 hose clamps to seal & keep it there.

"Stupid is as Stupid does."
/

Thanks Zaane, will forward this to my son in Texas.

Jackplmb, if you are concerned about rodents, spray or spread some peppermint oil (not with any sugar in it) on the areas. Mice don't like peppermint oil. Just make sure you don't spray it near any cats if you have any though. It's deadly to cats (can cause aspiration pneumonia and organ failure) but safe for dogs.

Could those clamps have any chance of doing anything at all against the copper pipe ?

Blew it up and had a close look. Looks to me like a few inches of soft Poly tube pushed over 1/2" copper pipe, then 2 hose clamps to seal & keep it there.

"Stupid is as Stupid does."
/

Could those clamps have any chance of doing anything at all against the copper pipe ?
Can't cause a dissimilar metal corrosion problem, the stainless steel clamps don't touch the copper pipe: The tubing is an insulator.
OTOH, tight clamps should make a decent watertight seal, since there's no pressure.

I see what they did now. That’s clear tubing against the white background. That’s what was confusing me, it looked like white pipe.
I use an iPhone and sometimes it’s hard to see things the way it really is, for me anyway.

Attachments

• B21A6CCC-6B55-48DF-A621-E03A6E67CA80.jpeg
    B21A6CCC-6B55-48DF-A621-E03A6E67CA80.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back