snrusnak's shower remodel

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a large dewalt saw on another house when doing handyman work for a guy, we did a sh*t load of tile in his house, and it was an awesome saw. Probably in the $500 price range though.

Wow! Fantastic job cutting that tile. I think I would have looked for a square drain rather than try to get the curved cuts. LOL.
What saw is that? My vision is sucking so I can't see very well. It looked like it said SKIL Saw. How much was that?
We have no tile in our house but I am curious.

I really am impressed with your work. I hope that I can someday do even half as well on a bathroom project. I need to get off my fat ass and do something. LOL.

haha thanks man. I try...

I got the floor tile and bench top set this weekend. A couple minor imperfections but nobody will ever notice...

havasu said:
When I did my last floor tiling job, I purchased a MK saw (pictured below) but after the job was finished, I took it back because the rail was constantly binding. I now have my eyes on a DeWalt brand, since I hear they are great saws.

I have the mk100 and you need to oil the rail every now and then or they will bind, they all do it.

Yes, I would love to see the final product. Seeing this again reminds me I need to work on my bathroom but I've been working on the kitchen instead. (no renovations, just some painting inside cabinets and new liners on the shelves).

Been awhile, but after a few months of not doing any work I'm wrapping it up. Just caulked the joint from the ceiling to the top of the tile last night. Got all the joint compound work done (had to float the ceiling down about 1/4" to 1/2" on one side, what a PITA, but turned out nice), all the texture is done as well.

Just have to seal the shower(doing this tonight), paint(this weekend), and build shelves over the toilet(this weekend). Other than that just a general cleanup, reinstall toilet, install some trim, etc.

IMG_20140128_205920_319.jpg

IMG_20140128_205846_391.jpg

IMG_20140128_205851_523.jpg

IMG_20140128_205857_006.jpg

IMG_20140128_205902_609.jpg

Thanks for the likes! I'm excited to wrap this up. Got it sealed tonight. The shower itself is DONE!

Just a few more things to wrap up the room.

The next project is a daunting one, and can't be on the back burner. The house needs a roof. Can't afford to have someone do it so doing it myself(with help from great friends/family). It will be a two weekend project, planning on doing it beginning of march.

Excellent job!

I'd love to see pics of the shelf and other things when you get them done.

Yikes on the new roof! I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

No on the roof. After digging into the codes and everything it's damn near impossible to do a roof in florida DIY. Multiple inspections, crazy requirements, etc, etc. I'd have to take at least one week off work if I did it myself to feel comfortable I could get it done and get the inspections done. So we are putting it off, can't afford to pay someone right now so planning on doing it next winter. Will hire a contractor.

Excellent work! I like the basemolding and trim around the door. I really like the shelves. Nice and sturdy and a nice grain on the wood.

Are you going to add a holder for the toilet paper?

Yes towel holder and tp holder across from the shower need added. Just need to buy them. Wife is also going to buy some baskets or something (decorations) for the shelves.

I made the shelves myself, my first "real" wood working experience. I borrowed a biscuit joiner from a guy at work. Ripped it on my table saw that I picked up at a garage sale for $20 :). Turned out pretty good. But damn cedar is expensive lol. We coated it in thompsons water seal before install. I think they turned out pretty good. Makes use of that "notch" in the wall, makes it look like it was there for a purpose. We originally were going to push the whole wall back flush so the shower was bigger but the plumbing is stubbed up in that dead space and I didn't want to mess with the slab. I'm capable, just didn't want to do it and thought this was a good alternative.

Next is the vanity...

It's hard to get good pics in such a small room lol. But it turned out nice. Only thing "bad" that I didn't think of is that with the extra long shower curtain we don't get a lot of light in the shower. Not a problem for us but might be for others. If it bugs us later I can either add a second light which is easy enough or we can lower the curtain. I'm 6'4" though...

Back