snrusnak's shower remodel

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks very nice. I like the texture on the tile.

Thanks. Going slow but I'm getting there...

The tile was on sale for something around $0.30/sf. We bought it about 1-2 years ago as we knew we would be getting to the showers soon enough. I think the price somewhat reflects the fact that the size of the tiles vary quiet a bit. One was about 1/16" larger than another, which seems like an awful big difference. When I have encountered this I'm just doing my best to split the difference in the joints and adjust each joint as I go. Certainly doesn't make it a fast install...

I had the same issue when I tiled my brother's kitchen, he had a similar deal with ~$0.30/sf tile and same issue with size not being consistent. I've never had that issue with any other tile job. I'm not a pro or anything but have done probably 1-2 dozen tile jobs. All the others were "full price".

Inconsistent sizes is one of the reasons why I am wary of using tile. Plus I don't like working with adhesives bc I am a klutz and tend to get some on me and I'm terrible at getting things straight.

At least you are making progress. My stuff is at a standstill right now and I really need to stop procrastinating and get a move on.

30 cents per tile is an excellent price though. I suppose if you had a staggered pattern instead of lined up evenly it would probably be less obvious (that is, if the size difference is even obvious when putting it on straight).

I just wrote a long reply and it was deleted :(

To sum it up, since I spent a lot of time making the joints look straight and good it's not noticeable. It looks way better than most tile jobs I see out in public.

I agree a staggered bond would remedy this issue. The wife didn't want that though. You know what they say, happy wife, miserable husband. LOL jk

From the pics you posted I never would have known they were uneven sizes. It looks great. Oh man, the tile jobs I see in public always make me cringe. Things are sticking out, there are gaps, etc.

LOL!

I keep hearing them saying "Happy wife, happy life" on TV and I'm thinking, "Not if the husband is having to make ALL of the compromises!" I'm sure the translation is "If the wife is happy she might not nag as much".

Oh man, I hate when I type a long reply and it gets deleted!

Very nice! I love corner shelves btw. They are very useful. For some reason other family members have a ton of different bottles and junk in our bathroom so every usable surface is a used as a shelf.

For some reason other family members have a ton of different bottles and junk in our bathroom so every usable surface is a used as a shelf.

YES!!! lol

I almost did 3 shelves but it was too crowded. The main reason for the "seat" was to have storage for "stuff". It's not really big enough for a seat. Also, makes a stand wife to put her foot on when she shaves her legs lol.

YES!!! lol

I almost did 3 shelves but it was too crowded. The main reason for the "seat" was to have storage for "stuff". It's not really big enough for a seat. Also, makes a stand wife to put her foot on when she shaves her legs lol.

Ah, I was looking at the seat and wondering if the finished version would somehow be larger. It did look rather small to be used as an actual seat-- but I come from a family of lardasses. I imagine it will also be useful when washing legs and feet as well.

I didn't get the floor tile in this weekend like I wanted but such is life. I did get the drain cut, and it turned out pretty good. During the week I'll make the remainder of the cuts and then probably saturday set the floor and cap to the bench.

Then just have to do the trim which is a piece of cake. Then I need to float the ceiling down with some joint compound as it's out of level and I have a 1/8-1/4 inch gap at the top of the tile on one side and nearly a 1/2 inch gap on the other side. I'll float it all down so it's even then caulk that joint. Really wish I didn't have to do it but I can't find another option that won't look like a hack job.

IMG_20130929_130521_848.jpg

IMG_20130929_130529_403.jpg

LOL... well I also cleaned it up with a variable speed hand grinder with 80 grit paper :)

I'm pretty good with the tile saw, even if it's a cheapo...

no it's a wet saw but it's about as small and cheap as you can get. It's the diamond blade that came with the saw.

I got the cut real close with the saw, then used the grinder with 80 grit sand paper(dry) to smooth it out. I went through about 5 sheets of 80 grit. Took about 2 hours total (I know, way too long). I wish I bought a bigger/better saw with a rolling table...

With cuts like that, I will need to bow to you at all times. I've made hundreds of cuts, but none as clean as your cuts!

haha thanks. You're making me blush.... lol

I try to do good work. I'm a little slow usually but I don't push real hard, I like to work at an enjoyable pace around the house.

When I did my last floor tiling job, I purchased a MK saw (pictured below) but after the job was finished, I took it back because the rail was constantly binding. I now have my eyes on a DeWalt brand, since I hear they are great saws.

MK saw.jpg

Latest posts

Back