snrusnak's shower remodel

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what I got done this weekend and today:

I work for a masonry contractor, and can assure you I will NOT be telling my boss it took me 2 hours to lay 2 block!!!!! LOL

Here's the latest. Got the curb sides done. Cut and bullnosed the tops but will install in a few days.

CAM00268.jpg

CAM00270.jpg

Finally started wall tile. Should be able to lay some more tomorrow night and finish it the back wall this weekend. It really sucks working a couple of hours at a time...

Thanks lol there's ALWAYS beer, tequila, usually rum and whiskey as well :)

It'll get done in due time..

Oh cool! I don't know why I never saw this thread before. Great job!
It's satisfying to see things take shape and know you've made progress. :)

Thanks, it is! lol. I'm really picky and usually work slow around the house but it's because I enjoy it. I like working around the house leisurely, you know. Not killing myself to hit a deadline. Although the wife is not impressed with the duration of the job LOL

I might be off my rocker but I swear each tile is not exactly the same size. It seems like some of them are maybe 1/32" or 1/16" bigger or smaller in one or both directions. I've had to use some of the 1/4" spacers turned on their side in some cases(they are slightly thicker than the 1/8" spacers). You can't really tell and I'm sure there is a tolerance in the tile and it'd come out ok either way but I've done my best to split the difference and make every joint as even as possible.

The precision really shows. Do you have grout matching silicone for the corners when it is time?

Good looking tile job!

I did tile for a few years and very rarely do you get tiles that are exactly the same size, it makes an install a pain especially if you have a narrow grout joint.

I am the opposite around the house I just want to get it done so my work usually looks worse at my house then when I do things at work.

No we haven't even bought gout yet. My wife and I agree we should use a darker color like a tan/brown so it doesn't look dirty all the time.

Personally, I hate caulking, and avoid it at all costs. I've had success using grout in corners and other changes of plane, and it didn't crack, but I know most people say to use caulk. I haven't made up my mind if I'll be changing my ways or sticking to my guns. I'll probably caulk against the ceiling and grout at the corners. I just especially don't like caulk in wet areas.

yeah.....I can think about it later, at my pace I won't be to grouting for about 4 months LOL

I figure if the corners crack I can just use a metal putty knife or something to scrape the grout flush at the corners then caulk right over it.

I have had good luck with just grout. When you do those areas mix it thick, let it sit for ten minutes then mix again. Don't use a whip or power tools, just a margin trowel and some elbow grease. That is supposed to be the best way to keep it from cracking.

It's looking, great!

Are the little cutouts on the right side to mark where shelves are going?

Back