snrusnak's shower remodel

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you guys make any further recommendations?

I do have a small tube of rectorseal T plus 2 pipe thread sealant with PTFE. PTFE is like teflon, right? I'm not sure if this is the right stuff to use though as I've never used pipe dope.

EDIT: I think the stuff I have is not the right kind for my application, but I"m not sure. I'm thinking about trying the pipe dope, just need to figure out what kind to buy. It's cpvc pipe, but it's a metal threaded coupler...

Also wondering if I should just redo all the threaded fittings with the pipe dope, or leave them alone...

Last edited:
Wow, I guess the 4th times the charm! lol.

I got some of that rectorseal 5 thread sealant and cut the cpvc supply lines once again and redid it. I redid all the threaded areas with it and none are leaking(been about 1 hr). I only didn't redo the plug on the bottom where the tub would go, but it has a rubber o ring so I don't think it matters anyway. I plugged the shower head like suggested and have it on, and no leaks anywhere.

After fighting all this, I don't know that I want to use tape anymore, the sealant seems to work a lot better.

I do appreciate all the help/advice. If anyone is interested on here, I'll continue to post pictures of my project...

We love it. Please continue with the pics because there are many of us that want to see the completed build!

Congrats on stopping those pesky leaks!

Well here's where I ended up at the end of the weekend.

Everything went pretty good except when I did the preslope dry pack I forgot about the hole I was filling around the drain pipe and didn't have enough mud. The wife was nice enough to run out and mix more as I was working it and still barely had enough. I didn't get as much of a slope as I was shooting for but it is still a good enough slope, so all is well.

During the week I'll put in the liner and plastic and cement board. Next weekend the curb and top layer will get dry pack. I'm assuming it'll be better to mud the floor and curb all at once so it's all integral. Is that the preferred way to do it?

Can someone tell me what the tool is that's used to plug the drain to test for leaks? I want to water test the pvc liner before moving forward. I looked online at HD and lowes and can't find it.

image-3631534597.jpg

image-2984896046.jpg

One of these can be used to plug your shower drain. One is a rubber screw plug and the other is inserted in the drain and filled with air pressure to block the drain.

Thanks. I think I'll try the screw one just so I don't need to mess with pumping it up with air.

I've been spending time on the john bridge forum, very helpful there as well. I need help with something though, I can't figure out how to do the liner at the corner at the curb. Here's where I'm stuck:

I don't see any better way to cut the liner to get full coverage of the wood/metal stud in that area above the curb. Yet other pictures like this:

make it look like it's fully covered.

I assume they are patching another piece in, right? What's the proper way to proceed?

Thanks.

I also frequent John Bridge and really enjoy their professionals work of art. I don't believe they use an additional piece of membrane, they just fold it in another direction, then place the corner piece over it.

I can't get a clear answer. I don't understand how I could cut or fold it different to get that area covered without using a patch piece.

Don't quote me but since this last fold is over the curb, you wouldn't need full protection from water penetration, and one cut may be necessary. Better to pose this same question to the tile experts there because I am certainly not one.

Yeah it appears that's what they are doing over there, just hard getting a clear definite answer. They are great and helpful and all but I think since they are pros and this is their livelihood they don't like giving out ALL the info so easily :) Why should they give me a free education, you know?

Yeah, they sure can put a rookie in their place but you have a perfectly acceptable question. I wish I could provide the exact answer but that stuff is expensive and being completely watertight is a must.

Yep that's what I see too, but then other comments people posted are saying two pieces should not be necessary and is sub par.

So I'm confused lol. I don't see any other way of possibly making it work, I'm going to proceed with this I think...

Remember, lots of glue...staples high...think how water permeates and protect from it.

Got it. Do you think I can just use glue on the patch piece? He used some other sealer like a caulking as well. I don't have that. Either that or I could put silicone caulking in there then the glue.

I'd also think the patch piece should lap OVER the curb liner part, not under. Not sure why he went under.

Back