Small Rust Lines a problem?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M4Bear

Reaction score
I’ve got a 15 year old Bradford 40gal water heater. We think we’re starting to see the hot water not last as long, but it could just be that our boys are getting older and we’re using more.

Made a couple calls and have had various recommends:
1) let us come service it/flush it. Cost $200-$300.
2) don’t flush something that old that hasn’t been serviced in years as it could cause leaks. Just run it until it’s really lagging on the hot water problem then replace it. Cost to replace with a new 40 gal $1200.

I’m leaning toward option 2 as that makes some sense to me, especially with this old of a unit.

My question/concern is I see two small “rust lines” near the bottom of the unit just to the right of the pilot light peep hole, photo attached. These look like “old leaks”? for lack of better words? There is no water showing along the rust line and there is no water in the drip pan or rust marks in the drip pan that would indicate this was ever a leak of any substance. Of course I cannot see completely around the base of the tank, so there -could- be additional spots like this I cannot see.

Thoughts on this?

Attachments

• 1C81C3BF-9840-4BFB-95DB-929FE9E08A65.jpeg
    1C81C3BF-9840-4BFB-95DB-929FE9E08A65.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
15 years is getting up there. You won't be able to see it when it lets go, they go from the inside out.
Thanks so much for the quick response. Any thoughts on those rust lines that look like they ran down? Seems like if it was due to a tank leak it’d still be leaking and/or be way worse? Not seeing any new water along the line.

Have you ever drained it yourself? depending on water quality it's recommended to drain a water heater occasionally, and just partially refilling it and draining it again would be a flush, if the water coming out is real dirty you may need to do this a few times. It's not something you should need a contractor for, although it's common for the drain valve to plug and need to be removed, and possibly replaced with a new valve. The first time I did it I had to remove the valve and use a wire to agitate the scale build up to get it to drain out. If you are confident that you can do that then go for it. If you aren't then maybe you should just have it replaced.

Have you ever drained it yourself? depending on water quality it's recommended to drain a water heater occasionally, and just partially refilling it and draining it again would be a flush, if the water coming out is real dirty you may need to do this a few times. It's not something you should need a contractor for, although it's common for the drain valve to plug and need to be removed, and possibly replaced with a new valve. The first time I did it I had to remove the valve and use a wire to agitate the scale build up to get it to drain out. If you are confident that you can do that then go for it. If you aren't then maybe you should just have it replaced.
Good thoughts. I’m leaning toward leaving it as is until we’re not getting much hot water, only concern is those rust lines near the base.

Do not repair it, replace it 15 years is at the end of life. 1200 is high
The cost to install a new water heater ranges from $400 to $900 for a 40 to 50-gallon tank, and between $1,470 and $2,510 for a tankless. Also, most plumbers will charge between $250 and $500 to take the old water heater out and properly dispose of it.

The cost to install a new water heater ranges from $400 to $900 for a 40 to 50-gallon tank, and between $1,470 and $2,510 for a tankless. Also, most plumbers will charge between $250 and $500 to take the old water heater out and properly dispose of it.

So $650-$1400 in the price range including disposal of old unit? $1200 seems right in line then?

Around my area near Chicago, put the old heater at the curb, by next day the junkers have taken it, no charge, no hassle.
Anything metal is always trash picked.
Hire a couple high school kids to haul it out there.

Limescale and sediment buildup in the tank diminishes the heaters ability i.e. less hot water. If there's rust on the outside ... it is worse on the inside.
Electric and gas heaters require service maintenance if you want them the last.
I replace my elements once per year and while they are out ... use a wet vac to clean out the tank. This is preventative maintenance to avoid surprises.
I've also just replaced the compression drain valve on the new tank I just put in with a 3/4 ball valve designed to flush out sediment. The factory valves will not allow the sediment to flush out.
And most important is the anode rod.
They must be replaced periodically depending on how bad your water is ...... usually within 4 years. When the anode rod is deteriorated your tank starts to rust ...... which is why my last heater only lasted 14 years ........ because I did not replace the anode rod periodically.
You probably have a significant layer of sediment in the bottom of your tank. I would probably replace a 15 year old tank because it's due to rust through ... especially if you haven't replaced the anode. When you get a new one installed be sure it is set up so you can replace the anode rod on a schedule and it should last decades. I would also put in the 3/4 ball valve ( $25. ) at the drain port during installation so you can do the yearly tank flush. Also be sure that the entry side ( cold water ) has a ball valve shut off included so the flush process is easy. Many YouTube videos on the procedure.

Attachments

• Drain valve.jpg
    Drain valve.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Anode.jpg
    Anode.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 0
Prices vary greatly by area. It may seem high to you, but in my area it is pretty low. IIRC we’re not supposed to discuss pricing on here for this reason.

The rust tracks look like they’re probably from condensation to me.

I need to start charging friends and family for replacing their water heaters... I can't believe how much plumbers are charging these days to replace them.

All depends on where you live, here in DC I got quotes of $1800 to 2200 to replace a 50gal electric, crazy so did it myself in 4hrs.

All depends on where you live, here in DC I got quotes of $1800 to 2200 to replace a 50gal electric, crazy so did it myself in 4hrs.
wow worked in the wrong city , we would do 40 gal elec supplied and installed for 650 .

Back