Small leak at toilet drain line coupling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

higgies

Reaction score
hello!

I have just renovated my master bath, and after getting everything in, I noticed a small leak developing on the ceiling. I pulled down the ceiling and noticed a small leak at a coupling in the toilet drain line when I flush the toilet. It squirts out the copper side of the coupling of the drain line that was replaced about two years ago. This developed just after we replaced the toilet and started using it. It's only a quick squirts when flushed out of a specific area of the coupling. Do I need to call a plumber and have it replaced or can I do a quick fix? I noticed it got worse when I wiped the area. I also notice a small area there on the copper that might be a crimp. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 62E007AD-5B71-42A6-8C03-3E95337004CA.jpeg
    62E007AD-5B71-42A6-8C03-3E95337004CA.jpeg
    514.8 KB · Views: 47
look at label make sure its a copper to pvc band. if not change it out. If it is make sure no crimps and try to tighten down on copper side. The band doesnt look tight but its tough to tell from pic.

Will do. I'm a little concerned about over tightening the band. Strange that it lasted two years before failing. It also appears there may be some kind of sealant between the copper and the coupling. Might just be oxidation though.

Yeah, tightening made it worse actually, which leads me to believe that's a crimp in the pic. Think it's the right coupling.

Attachments

• 370F3E40-F8D4-4C5A-B465-5F4DFF40241D.jpeg
    370F3E40-F8D4-4C5A-B465-5F4DFF40241D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 123B2CA1-9952-4DDF-B186-89567C0A0CBB.jpeg
    123B2CA1-9952-4DDF-B186-89567C0A0CBB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
yeah definitely..you can use a regular fernco band that is wider than the one you have. no metal sleeve...it should cover the pipe more.

is there more if there is more room on both sides you could use mission couplings at both ends and put a longer piece of pvc in...
if the pvc side is the flange side you could just repipe starting at the flangeand cut back that piece of copper
is there more if there is more room on both sides you could use mission couplings at both ends and put a longer piece of pvc in...
you would want to remove bad piece of copper

Latest posts

Back