Small Leach Field

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeatJack

Reaction score
I live in a very old house. Come to find out my leach field only contains 2 pipes and can’t handle much water. Unfortunately it seems that there is no room for improvements, so no extra lines. This has made things difficult. I’m wondering if there are any options out there that can reduce the amount of water that makes it out to the leach field? I realize I need to reduce my water usage but 2 minute showers and no laundry is really getting old. Thanks.

You may want to look into grey water vs black water.

Greywater is gently used water from your bathroom sinks, showers, tubs, and washing machines. It is not water that has come into contact with feces, either from the toilet or from washing diapers. ... While greywater may look “dirty,” it is a safe and even beneficial source of irrigation water in a yard.

Grey water used to go to separate dry wells rather then septic systems.

What state? Some states are pushing the separation of grey water, etc. Believe Florida was one I remember.

Yes, I’m a little familiar with gray water. I’m in Virginia, I think a lot of people do it around here but I think it’s frowned upon by the county (not 100% sure). I try to only buy plant based cleaners, detergents, etc. and dumping outside as much as I can, but that’s becoming a pain. I would have no problem paying to get some things hooked up to a graywater drain but the septic guy told me the county wasn’t all that nice about rerouting water. I was reading something about a machine you hook up to your septic tank that bubbles/filters or something (not quite sure) that reduces water.

Latest posts

Back