Slow tub flow. Plumber say's $850 to fix !!!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMD1960

Reaction score
Tub/shower at a trickle. Called local plumber who say's that parts are unavailable due to age of faucets and he would have to replace them which would involve cutting a hole in the wall and then having a dry wall person repair the wall and tiles after that. $850 USD +. And he would also replace the existing handles with some kind of generic Gerber handles. Mama likes her Retro and that's a no go
My quick research seems to indicate that these are American Standard / Re-nu parts and readilyavailable. As Cecil the Sea Sick Sea Serpent would say ' What the heck ? '.IMG_0793.jpgIMG_0794.jpgIMG_0795.jpgIMG_0796.jpgIMG_0797.jpg

thats an american standard valve i believe the washer pushes onto the stem it maybe stuck behind the stem you can remove it with needle nose pliers before you do anything remove the stem bring it to a PLUMBING SUPPLY HOUSE there is also a small chrome seat you can get when the stem is removed put your finger in the valve body, you will be able to feel the seat and any rough spots that will tear the rubber
if you look at the back of the handle i think there is a plastic insert that slides over the stem

Last edited:
thats an american standard valve i believe the washer pushes onto the stem it maybe stuck behind the stem you can remove it with needle nose pliers before you do anything remove the stem bring it to a PLUMBING SUPPLY HOUSE there is also a small chrome seat you can get when the stem is removed put your finger in the valve body, you will be able to feel the seat and any rough spots that will tear the rubber
if you look at the back of the handle i think there is a plastic insert that slides over the stem
I hesitate to attempt the work myself. There is no cutoff valve and I would have to turn off the whole house water supply. If I didn't get it put back together right, the house would be without water and I'd have to call a plumber anyway.
And, yeah, there is a plastic insert in the handle.

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand how it all fits together. Won't different stems fit the pipe at the wall ? Or, is the seat some kind of brand specific part that would only fit the original thus requiring the whole assembly to be replaced?
What irks me is that he offered no options on different appearances like they have to sell what's in their warehouse. Was pushing me towards bland Gerber stuff.

I'm trying to understand how it all fits together. Won't different stems fit the pipe at the wall ? Or, is the seat some kind of brand specific part that would only fit the original thus requiring the whole assembly to be replaced?
What irks me is that he offered no options on different appearances like they have to sell what's in their warehouse. Was pushing me towards bland Gerber stuff.

The replacement stems will fit, but you replace the seats on something that old, because their surface gets marred over time, and the rubber washers get tore up. If you just replace the stems, your new washers could very well get ruined quickly unless those seats are in good condition.

Easy enough for a plumber who knows what they're doing. If you order the parts just to make sure you have the correct parts for the process, I'm sure you'll make the plumber happy, too.

order both and return the one you dont use we used to have these stems in faucets most of the time thatrubber washer would get stuck in the valve body causing the problem you described the stems we used we all brass one must be for a sink faucet the other for a shower valve ?????

Pretty sure it’s American standard heritage. They have the top hat washers. And yes if they come loose your water will slow to a trickle. Easy fix for someone handy with a wrench and or socket and or pliers and screwdriver

The replacement stems will fit, but you replace the seats on something that old, because their surface gets marred over time, and the rubber washers get tore up. If you just replace the stems, your new washers could very well get ruined quickly unless those seats are in good condition.

Easy enough for a plumber who knows what they're doing. If you order the parts just to make sure you have the correct parts for the process, I'm sure you'll make the plumber happy, too.
The N1140 rebuild kit looks exactly like whats already in place, even the same trim and handles.

Pretty sure it’s American standard heritage. They have the top hat washers. And yes if they come loose your water will slow to a trickle. Easy fix for someone handy with a wrench and or socket and or pliers and screwdriver
Sounds simple. My concern is what happens if I get it all apart and can't get it back together again.

1. Watch a demo video. youtube american standard aquaseal repair - Yahoo Video Search Results
2. The seals are usually available at any good hardware store.
3. If you want to do the seats, you need to buy a seat wrench, and sometimes for some installations, seat wrenches need to be ground down in length.
This is a simple job for an experienced plumber. But these are old, and young plumbers may not have seen them.
If you can find one in the unpaid Yelp listings for your area.
Nextdoor is also a good resource to search for local recommendations if it exists in your area.

Btw, not sure if it makes much difference but, the flow is slow in hot and cold. Wondering what would happen if I just
1. Watch a demo video. youtube american standard aquaseal repair - Yahoo Video Search Results
2. The seals are usually available at any good hardware store.
3. If you want to do the seats, you need to buy a seat wrench, and sometimes for some installations, seat wrenches need to be ground down in length.
This is a simple job for an experienced plumber. But these are old, and young plumbers may not have seen them.
If you can find one in the unpaid Yelp listings for your area.
Nextdoor is also a good resource to search for local recommendations if it exists in your area.
Appreciate your covering all the bases, especially the reference to an ' experienced 'plumber. One of the reasons I get on this forum is to determine what I can do myself and when to hire a professional. Had a similar discussion regarding drum traps on here and went with a pro. " Man's got to know his limitations" - Dirty Harry Callahan ;-)

So... the OP says that the water is at a "trickle"... and maybe this has something to do with washers and seats... although that's not been my experience... even if a washer comes loose inside the valve, if you open things up enough, water starts to flow.

I notice that you have a picture of your sink as well. Is it slow, too? How old is the plumbing and what is it made of? I've got 60 year old cast iron pipes in my house, and while the cold water in the shower is OK, the hot water really is a trickle, all due to the corrosion and closing off of the pipes. All piping is going to be replaced within the next thirty days along with my bathroom remodel.

So... my question to you is: What is the flow like if you pull out the valve stems and turn on the water so that it squirts into the tub? About what you'd expect? DId it clear any grunge that might be backed up in the valves? And not to belabor the point, what's the chance that your tub spout and shower head are simply full of debris that is blocking the flow. Obviously, if there is no strainer on the tub spout, this is a non-starter.

Latest posts

Back