Slow to drain kitchen sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayley3

Reaction score
I used drano and liquid plumber...and after I use it, it drains perfectly. But it only lasts a few weeks and then I'm back to slow draining again.
I don't put anything down the sink...I have a strainer on the right side where I rinse off the food particles and the basket on the left where I wash the dishes, so it catches any big junks if there are any.
I had a new faucet put in last February, when I moved in, and he put in two new faucet supply cables when he put in the new faucet.
I just can't imagine why it helps but then it clogs again later?

Thanks,
Cheryl

Try a plunger. You may need to use a drain cleaning machine to clean the drain out or call a drain cleaner to come do it for you.

Are you in a condo, apt, single family home?

You probably have an old drain line filled with grease and food particles.

The problem was probably created by residents there before you.

Drain cleaner works for a while, but sludge from the pipes keeps creeping downhill, and new clogs will form.

Having your drain snaked by a pro should help.

Or buy an enzyme cleaner such as Drain Defense by Zep, and add a small dose of it once a week at bedtime.
It slowly cleans out the old sludge buildup.

Last edited:
The problem with chemicals is they get diluted and run past the clog.

And they’re expensive.

Using enzyme cleaners, run a few gallons of warm water to heat up the drain pipe.
Put the recommended dose of cleaner into the sink drain.
Some are liquid, some are powder.
Pour about a quart or two of warm water, NOT hot or boiling water, into the drain, to rinse the enzyme cleaner out of the sink trap and into the drain pipe.
Don’t run any water for about eight hours, let the stuff do its job.
Repeat weekly, monthly, whatever it takes to keep your clogs away.

Using enzyme cleaners, run a few gallons of warm water to heat up the drain pipe.
Put the recommended dose of cleaner into the sink drain.
Some are liquid, some are powder.
Pour about a quart or two of warm water, NOT hot or boiling water, into the drain, to rinse the enzyme cleaner out of the sink trap and into the drain pipe.
Don’t run any water for about eight hours, let the stuff do its job.
Repeat weekly, monthly, whatever it takes to keep your clogs away.
Why not hot water? The reason I ask, is when I did the liquid plumber, I used hot boiling water since I figured hot water would work better.

Try a plunger. You may need to use a drain cleaning machine to clean the drain out or call a drain cleaner to come do it for you.
I looked at an auger but then looked in my sink...and realized an auger is not going to fit.

Attachments

• Sink thingy.JPG
    Sink thingy.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Hot water can destroy the enzymes, I believe.
And some enzyme cleaners include bacteria, hot water will kill them.

The auger goes into the drain under the sink.

You remove the trap, or unscrew a cleanout plug if you have one.

Watch some Youtube videos on how to snake a sink drain.

Think of using Drano as open heart surgery, whereas using Drain Defense is like taking long term medicine for high cholesterol.

Use the recommended amount of enzyme cleaner, don’t add extra and think it will do better.
Adding too much can soften up too much sludge, which can actually cause a clog to form.
Easy does it, slow and steady.

Use the recommended amount of enzyme cleaner, don’t add extra and think it will do better.
Adding too much can soften up too much sludge, which can actually cause a clog to form.
Easy does it, slow and steady.
I had to buy Green Gobbler because the Zep was out of stock on Amazon. And thanks for all the tips...I have written everything down for when it arrives.

What type of Green Gobbler?

The type I have seen is more like Drano, an acid type of cleaner that creates heat.

Not an enzyme cleaner.

Post a link to the product you bought.

Home Depot, Walmart, hardware stores all carry Drain Defense.

What type of Green Gobbler?

The type I have seen is more like Drano, an acid type of cleaner that creates heat.

Not an enzyme cleaner.

Post a link to the product you bought.

Home Depot, Walmart, hardware stores all carry Drain Defense.
I read an article on the best enzyme drain cleaners by Bob Villa and the Green Gobbler was it... and I honestly did not check the label, I just bought it cause Bob Villa had it on his web site as the best... My Walmart has nothing on the shelves at the moment. I'm going to town on Sunday maybe I can find the Zep.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-drain-cleaner/

Maybe what you bought really is an enzyme type.
I think Green Gobbler has several types of formulas.
When it arrives, post some clear pics of the front and back label, and the instructions.

So I got my Green Gobbler. When I flushed the right side with hot water, the left side was backing up with water and some sewer smelling gunk. I flushed and flushed with hot water and then tried the plunger on the left side while the water was there. I would fill a gallon jug with hot water and then dump the water in on the right side and then both sinks were backing up with standing water and some gross gunk, but it does go down after a few seconds. Guess I will try it again tomorrow and pour the Gobbler down the left side.

Attachments

• Gobbler 1.JPG
    Gobbler 1.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • Gobbler 2.JPG
    Gobbler 2.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 2
Put the drain stopper in one side of the sink.

Now fill the other side about half way with as hot as water as your hands can stand.,

Now have someone hold the dry sink with the stopper in the drain sealed off.

Now pull the stopper on the sink with the water in it......let the drain fill......start plunging like your life depends on it.

Do that to each side. One side at a time.

It’s good to disconnect and plug off the dishwasher tee or connection if you have one before you do this. This way you get full suction.

I don't have anyone to help me but....now I can't run water in either side of the sink without it backing up from each sink. :confused:

Latest posts

Back