Slow to drain kitchen sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have anyone to help me but....now I can't run water in either side of the sink without it backing up from each sink. :confused:
So much for the geeen gobbler.

Try to get some help to plunge it or break down and call a pro.

Plunging won’t help if the problem is past the vent anyway.

Be careful plunging with that drain cleaner in there so that it doesn't shoot up into your face. If
any acid is in it especially. I really doubt if any drain cleaner is going to open that drain. It will
probably need an electric snake ran through it clear to the main.

I suck at plunging, all the plunger does is slide around. Using the green gobbler has now completely stopped up the sink...sighs
I called a plumber, he can't be here til Thursday. I should've been a plumber making $150 an hour. Do doctors even make that much?

I suck at plunging, all the plunger does is slide around. Using the green gobbler has now completely stopped up the sink...sighs
I called a plumber, he can't be here til Thursday. I should've been a plumber making $150 an hour. Do doctors even make that much?
Doctors make up to a few thousand an hour or more gross pay......and they offer no warranty.,

I know a pediatrician that sees about 5 patients an hour at $100 each....I work for a dentist that make $1,000 an hour easy gross pay.

Green Gobbler didn’t stop your sink up, grease, soap , etc stopped your sink up. Plunging can make a blockage worse.

Everything you broke up with the plunger went to the original blockage and has now added to it.,

Chemicals IMO are a waste of time and money. In some cases it’s dangerous., acids can ruin my drain cables as well when they don’t work and the homeowner calls in a pro.

Last edited:
Doctors make up to a few thousand an hour or more gross pay......and they offer no warranty.,

I know a pediatrician that sees about 5 patients an hour at $100 each....I work for a dentist that make $1,000 an hour easy gross pay.
Yes but doctors have to go to school for 8 years and pay $100,000 plus for that education. Dentists on the other hand are richer than doctors.

Yes but doctors have to go to school for 8 years and pay $100,000 plus for that education. Dentists on the other hand are richer than doctors.

Theres not a school that teaches what I do and it takes more than 8 yrs to learn how to do what I do.

Kids do not want to learn how to be a plumber. Some of the ones that do aren’t quality people. There’s a lack of talented people in the trades......bunch of flunky dope heads.

That makes me in demand. That makes the price go up.

Dentists are doctors.

Theres not a school that teaches what I do and it takes more than 8 yrs to learn how to do what I do.

Dentists are doctors.
Yes but Dentists somehow escaped the Medicare/insurance pathway that the doctors are regulated under. Doctors charge a lot but dont' actually get that money, although that is starting to change, I think. But there's a difference between working on a human being vs a pipe. And yes plumbers make a lot of money because people are going to college instead of learning trades.

Yes but Dentists somehow escaped the Medicare/insurance pathway that the doctors are regulated under. Doctors charge a lot but dont' actually get that money, although that is starting to change, I think. But there's a difference between working on a human being vs a pipe. And yes plumbers make a lot of money because people are going to college instead of learning trades.

Yes, there are differences in working on a human vs a pipe.

It costs me approximately $10,000 a year to legally call myself a plumbing company.
6 yrs minimum on the job training and two tests that are timed that I must score above 70 on.

I must be bonded and have liability insurance with every municipality that I conduct business in.

I have a $50,000 van that has $15,000 worth of tools and materials on it. I get 12 miles to the gallon.

And there’s a man with 35 yrs experience driving it and a 20yr old man to help.

$150 an hour is cheap......In fact I think I’m going to raise my prices.
Thanks !

When was the last time your doctor made a house call. I am sure the hourly rate would be cheaper if you brought your plumbing to them. Buildings, insurance, vehicles, tools, equipment. That all goes into the hourly rate

FYI...
Drain cleaners like Green Gobbler and Drain Defender require the drain to have at least some draining so the product can be carried down to the problem. They are not really designed to "unclog" drains, but to clean the "sludge" out of the pipes that leads to the drain becoming clogged.
Used as a preventative measure it prevents clogged drains.

Get the Green Gobbler Bio Flow sticks and use them about once a month. They really work! I had a problem with my bathroom with toothpaste; I'd have to clean out the drain every few months. Since I started using them, no more clogs. Just make sure you get them down into the drain. Worked on my shower drain too.

Once it's clogged the strips will take too long. I broke up the clog with a 0 degree head on my power washer. Took 5 seconds.

Last edited:
Yes, there are differences in working on a human vs a pipe.

It costs me approximately $10,000 a year to legally call myself a plumbing company.
6 yrs minimum on the job training and two tests that are timed that I must score above 70 on.

I must be bonded and have liability insurance with every municipality that I conduct business in.

I have a $50,000 van that has $15,000 worth of tools and materials on it. I get 12 miles to the gallon.

And there’s a man with 35 yrs experience driving it and a 20yr old man to help.

$150 an hour is cheap......In fact I think I’m going to raise my prices.
Thanks !

Government regulations don't make you worth more; they just make fewer people want to be plumbers. And when there are fewer plumbers than frantic people with their hair on fire, you can't charge $150/hour.

Government regulations don't make you worth more; they just make fewer people want to be plumbers. And when there are fewer plumbers than frantic people with their hair on fire, you can't charge $150/hour.
Government regulations make my cost of doing business higher. When my cost of business increases, so does make hourly rate.

Sound reasonable ?

Government regulations make my cost of doing business higher. When my cost of business increases, so does make hourly rate.

Sound reasonable ?

I'm guessing you never took Eco 101? If there were 30 other plumbers vying for the business you couldnt charge half what you charge. Your costs have nothing to do with market price of your services.

It's actually the opposite. The licensing entities know you're making boatloads of $$$ so they charge ridiculously high licensing fees because they know they can get it. If plumbers made $20/hour they couldn't charge $10,000 a year.

I'm guessing you never took Eco 101? If there were 30 other plumbers vying for the business you couldnt charge half what you charge. Your costs have nothing to do with market price of your services.

It's actually the opposite. The licensing entities know you're making boatloads of $$$ so they charge ridiculously high licensing fees because they know they can get it. If plumbers made $20/hour they couldn't charge $10,000 a year.

It has everything to do with the cost of my services. Worth is a subjective term that’s defined by my customers. Cost is not the only factor in why I’m hired, maybe it would be for you..,,,,🤣.
I only take work by referral. You can’t just call me. You have to be referred.
I operate a little different than most plumbing companies. I also make a lot more of a profit percentage than most plumbing companies.

I didn’t need Eco 101, college is for people who need a piece of paper to hang on the wall........

The other 30 plumbers you talk about would have these same costs as well.

Sure and if Doctors made $20 an hour their malpractice insurance wouldn’t be thousands......

If your market price doesn’t exceed your costs you’re not a business, you’re a charity and it’s considered a hobby.,🤣

Also there are 30 plumbers wanting my work. Probably more......

And they charge less than me......some $50 an hour less. But hey, maybe they know their worth.

I work for people who don’t ask a price typically. They call you, they pay you.....if they don’t like the price they just don’t call you back.

But my phone keeps ringing and I keep making very large deposits twice a week. 🤭👍🤣

You’re failing to realize that not all plumbers have the same abilities or knowledge. I pick and choose who I work for, when I work and how much I charge.

I’m like chick-Fil-A at lunch the line is so long.🤣🤣🤣🤡

Last edited:
Homeowners trying to do their own work keeps me busy too. Most screw up more than they repair.

Worse cases are old men that jackrigg everything then die leaving their widow with an absolute wreck of a plumbing and electrical system that’s dangerous.

I see that on a regular basis. All the time and money he spent to jackrigg it gets ripped out and his widow gets to come up with the money to have it all replaced. They then realize, if they don’t already know that their husband wasn’t near as handy as she thought.,
Its sad really.,

Then you have the people who’ve bought a house from a guy who did a lot of the work himself and it’s all covered up in the walls.
So the new owners are sitting in a new kitchen with designer finishes and their plumbing was pieced in by an idiot with a Home Depot credit card.

“ but we had a home inspection”. Do you know how many times I’ve heard that ?

Last edited:
Here’s an example. These poor old folks bought this $350,000 house that was “ remodeled “ just 3 yrs ago.
Isn’t it lovely ?
286948DC-F4CF-405B-8E38-046692A7AAA3.jpeg
with this hole in the floor.......
225EB933-EAD0-46DE-A107-A34CCEC703A0.jpeg
The previous owner did the remodel work.
Now he’s being sued........

Guess who’s getting paid $150 an hour to go to court and testify ?

It has everything to do with the cost of my services. Worth is a subjective term that’s defined by my customers. Cost is not the only factor in why I’m hired, maybe it would be for you..,,,,🤣.
I only take work by referral. You can’t just call me. You have to be referred.
I operate a little different than most plumbing companies. I also make a lot more of a profit percentage than most plumbing companies.

I didn’t need Eco 101, college is for people who need a piece of paper to hang on the wall........

The other 30 plumbers you talk about would have these same costs as well.

Sure and if Doctors made $20 an hour their malpractice insurance wouldn’t be thousands......

If your market price doesn’t exceed your costs you’re not a business, you’re a charity and it’s considered a hobby.,🤣

Also there are 30 plumbers wanting my work. Probably more......

And they charge less than me......some $50 an hour less. But hey, maybe they know their worth.

I work for people who don’t ask a price typically. They call you, they pay you.....if they don’t like the price they just don’t call you back.

But my phone keeps ringing and I keep making very large deposits twice a week. 🤭👍🤣

You’re failing to realize that not all plumbers have the same abilities or knowledge. I pick and choose who I work for, when I work and how much I charge.

I’m like chick-Fil-A at lunch the line is so long.🤣🤣🤣🤡

I can't understand it for you, Dude. You're a plumber for a reason.

I can't understand it for you, Dude. You're a plumber for a reason.

Thats right, I wanted to make $275,000.00 last year and that’s why you’re on a plumbing forum asking for advice and I’m not on an economics forum asking them how to earn money. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

You just don’t get it......🤡🤡 you're on a plumbing forum for a reason....🤣🤣🤣....dude🤪

All you’re trying to say is supply and demand. The more plumbers there are the cheaper the rates.

That might be true if all plumbers were equal. Their not. You can buy a steak at Waffle House for 6.00 or you can buy one for $200.00 at a fine steakhouse. There both steak.......

🤡🤡🤡🤣🤣🤣🤣

I’m the $200 steak. 🤭😬 and I deal with educated idiots on a regular basis....🤣🤣🤣🤣🤷‍♂️😜

@MarianneR
Did you further your education past Economics 101 ? Economics 101is so 50’s and 60’s-ish.

Here’s a short article you should read about economics 101 and how it fails to paint a complete picture.

It kinda agrees with me.......🤭🤭🤭🤓🤷‍♂️🤣🤣. And suggests that economists should think more like plumbers......🤭🤡

http://economicstudents.com/2017/05/economics-plumbing-getting-back-basics/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back