slow suction from sump pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYgui

Reaction score
pedestal sump pump runs like normal for around 5 seconds and then makes a loud rumble noise afterward and suction power slows down by alot, to the point i caught the float rod sitting on the switch instead of flipping it to kill the power to the pump like normal.

i've lowered the rubber threshold of the rod so it hits the switch fast enough to kill power to the pump as a temporary fix for now.

i suspect some kind of clog or maybe the filter needs replacement, worst case, a new sump pump entirely.

anyone able to advise me on what i should check before goin down the worst case scenario?

thx for your time.

Post pics or a short video.

There is no filter in a sump pump that I know of.

Check valve could be defective.

Discharge line could be partially blocked.

Lots of possibilities.

First thoughts.

The pump sounds terrible, might be shot.

That brass check valve might be jammed or partially jammed.

It also does not need to be that high up on the discharge line.

Typically the check valve is about half that far from the pump discharge.

There could be some junk stuck in the pump impeller, since that big pit is open and anything can wind up down in the water.

Piece of wire, zip tie, wire nut, piece of duct tape, etc, which could be interfering with getting good pumping started.

yea, i know i need to get a new pump soon, just need to raise the funds a bit. The check valve has always been there for as long as i can remember, but definitely noted for any time i end up doin work on pump pipe layout.

aside from debris, i tried to clear around it with a hockey stick and doesn't seem to be any rocks or anything noticeably damaging near it as far as i can tell.

in terms of tools, what would i need to dismantle this and check the impeller? and/or the check valve? aside from a shop vac to clear the water, i'm at a loss as to how to approach this.

if you have videos you can direct me to and save yourself time, i'll watch em as well and ask any questions to clarify anything n so forth

thanks again for the assist.

Latest posts

Back