Slow Sink Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgato

Reaction score
This sink has always had a very slow drain. Other sinks in the house are fine.

Is there anything wrong with this plumbing?

Attachments

• CIMG2239.JPG
    CIMG2239.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
Looks like it’s roughed in way too high.

The fact that it’s a form of an s trap will not make it drain slow. Unless you had a studor type vent installed....then it wouldn’t be s-trapped.

Looks like it’s roughed in way too high.

The fact that it’s a form of an s trap will not make it drain slow. Unless you had a studor type vent installed....then it wouldn’t be s-trapped.
Yes, it is about 4" higher than the original because the new vanity is 4" taller. That explains why the original Tee is lower.

You have no vent to assist in draining. Once you change elevation you loose the vent, should have just run over flat and 90 out
Thanks. It was raised by 4" when the new tall vanity was installed. That explains why the original Tee is lower. Would putting in a new Sanitary Tee 4" higher and coming straight across to it be the correct solution? Thanks

Last edited:
I assure you the vent situation isn’t making your lavatory drain slow.

Raising the tee will correct the vent situation but also you could lower it back to the original location and just use a tailpiece extension to connect to the trap from the lavatory and leave the tee where it’s at.

Run a drain cable down that short section of 1.5” while you have it apart.

I assure you the vent situation isn’t making your lavatory drain slow.

Raising the tee will correct the vent situation but also you could lower it back to the original location and just use a tailpiece extension to connect to the trap from the lavatory and leave the tee where it’s at.

Run a drain cable down that short section of 1.5” while you have it apart.

Thank You.
I will check the 1.5" section. Lowering it back to the original position is the easiest option. Is it worth the extra effort to replace the tee just to get a Sanitary tee?

Thank You.
I will check the 1.5" section. Lowering it back to the original position is the easiest option. Is it worth the extra effort to replace the tee just to get a Sanitary tee?
you already have a sanitary tee. Put the drain back at its original height and the plumbing will be correct. Make sure it doesn’t interfere with your new cabinet.

you already have a sanitary tee. Put the drain back at its original height and the plumbing will be correct. Make sure it doesn’t interfere with your new cabinet.
I moved it back to the original height and cleaned the pipes. I really don't think the height was an issue but at least it is back to correct. I feel really dumb about this but it seems that the problem is caused by a sink with no overflow/vent. The other bathroom has the same plumbing and drain assembly but the sink has an overflow. It has always been fast. Thanks again for the help.

Latest posts

Back