Slow rise in toilet tank water level

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky472

Reaction score
I just replaced the guts of my toilet with a fluidmaster replacement kit (fill valve, flush valve,etc). Everything seemed to work just fine. But I noticed that the water level in the tank is rising very slowly. As an example, I flushed it about 2.5 hours ago and the level in tank rose about 1/4" - 1/3". After flushing, the tank fills properly and shuts off, after which I hear no sounds at all coming from the fill valve or anywhere else. I hung out in the bathroom for 15 minutes to see if I could hear anything, but I don't. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

You may have the black float adjusted too high, which actually means you didn't compress the cylinder low enough on the vertical shaft, not allowing the valve to seal completely. If you have the ability to lift the black float higher, which shuts off the water completely, make another adjustment.

If it does appear that the black float is at its highest limit, I suppose you may have a defective Fluidmaster kit.

You may have the black float adjusted too high, which actually means you didn't compress the cylinder low enough on the vertical shaft, not allowing the valve to seal completely. If you have the ability to lift the black float higher, which shuts off the water completely, make another adjustment.

If it does appear that the black float is at its highest limit, I suppose you may have a defective Fluidmaster kit.

I'm not sure I understand about compressing the cylinder low enough. Is this referring to when the instructions direct to hold the float under the water for 30 seconds while the tank fills? I any case, I've got room to raise the float more so I can try that. Thx

I see what you are saying. I did adjust that to what I believe is the proper height when I installed, such that the critical level mark is one inch above the top of the overflow valve. Are you suggesting that I raise or lower the entire assembly on the shaft, as opposed to just the float itself?

I'd lower it at least one notch. You want the water level below the overflow tube, but high enough to get a full, complete flush.

The adjustment screw on the float had a little bit more room to raise and that seems to have solved the problem. The water level sits about an inch below the top of the overflow tube, and is remaining constant. To compensate, I adjusted the adjustable flapper for less water to flow out of the tank. I'm getting a good flush but not completely draining the tank. So I think I'm in good shape now. Thanks

I am having the same problem. Without removing the fill valve from the tank, which I do not want to risk, I cannot figure out how to move the vertical rod up or down. I just cannot get it to move. The metal or plastic ring twists in both directions but does not seem to raise or lower the vertical rod. I've tried numerous other ways to move the rod up or down. Water level in tank slowly rises over the course of 4 hours until it is at the overflow. Adjusting the screw on the float did not help stop the slow rise in water over the course of about 4 hours

I am having the same problem. Without removing the fill valve from the tank, which I do not want to risk, I cannot figure out how to move the vertical rod up or down. I just cannot get it to move. The metal or plastic ring twists in both directions but does not seem to raise or lower the vertical rod. I've tried numerous other ways to move the rod up or down. Water level in tank slowly rises over the course of 4 hours until it is at the overflow. Adjusting the screw on the float did not help stop the slow rise in water over the course of about 4 hours

I am having the exact same problem as we speak!

I am having the exact same problem as we speak!

See Havasu post #4. The locking ring just above the arrow, slide it upward to get it out it's locking position then pull upward on the fill valve( grasp valve by locking ring to pull upward). Place locking ring back in it's locking position after fill valve adjustment. Turn water to toilet off before adjustments.

Back