slow leak into septic tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brando913

Reaction score
Im having a slow leak into my septic tank. I had it pumped today and see the water dripping from the inlet tube. Its a slow but constant drip. Heres what Ive done so far to trouble shoot.
1. Checked all toilets: None running. I turned off all water valves to tanks and even sucked water out of tanks to make sure there was none seeping under flapper valves.
2. checked all faucets- no leaks.
3. Turned off main water valve at hot water tank and checked meter at the street. meter was not running so Im guessing the leak if from inside the house.
4. The only thing I can think of is that its coming from the hot water heater since its under pressure. Could this cause a slow leak even if water is turned off to toilets? I realize the hot water does not run to the toilets but would the pressure from the tank cause a leak into the septic tank? Could the small expansion tank that is attached to the top of water heater cause the leak issue?
5. I opened the relief valve on the water heater to see if this would stop the drip-no luck.

Any suggestions on what to check next would be a HUGE help!

Do you have a RO filter? To check the toilets put some food coloring into the tanks and let it sit. If after time the coloring appears in the bowl you have a flapper that needs to be replaced. Also depending on the amount of pitch on the waste lines it could take some time for the waste lines to become completely dry.

John

It is most likely to be residual water from the drain piping. Even with properly pitched, brand new PVC pipe, which has a really smooth interior, it takes a surprisingly long time for all of the water to drain out. If you have piping that does not have proper fall, is cast iron, or clay, or has some deposits built up on the pipe walls, it could take a really long time to quit dripping.

John,

Im not sure of my filter type but I do know we pulled it out of the tank when it was pumped out. The septic guy cleaned it off and said it was fine. I'll try the food color test on the flappers. Thanks for your reply.

It is most likely to be residual water from the drain piping. Even with properly pitched, brand new PVC pipe, which has a really smooth interior, it takes a surprisingly long time for all of the water to drain out. If you have piping that does not have proper fall, is cast iron, or clay, or has some deposits built up on the pipe walls, it could take a really long time to quit dripping.
I'm having similar problems as the original poster. My neighbors are claiming our septic tank is leaking into their yard. There was no indication of a problem in our yard - no green grass over tank or leading into neighbors yard, no puddles and no problems inside. Trying to be good neighbors we had our tank pumped - it was probably time anyway. The septic guy said our drain field was fine but there was a very slow drip from the pipe into the tank. He said he was 80% sure it was a leaking toilet from the bowl. So, since our toilets were old we replaced them with brand new Kohlers. Still dripping. The septic guy insists that both new toilets must be defective. I think he's selling me a line. Neighbors area of concern is dry and has been for a couple of days. Any thoughts on this? Is that slow drip an issue? The water meter does not move when there is no water on inside. Please help if you can!

Put dye in the toilet tanks and leave for 1/2 hr to test the toilets. Food coloring will work, just squirt some things n the corner of the tank and let it sit.
Don’t flush.

If you’re losing water the bowl water will show the same color as your dye.

A drain line that’s flat will drip for a long time.

Last edited:
Back