slow kitchen drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullhead

Reaction score
Have a very slow drain draining in my kitchen. Single wide home. Have tried about every drain cleaner at Menards and Ace hardware ,tried a 15ft snake which made it worse.
after about 1 minutes or so it starts to back up. If i boil water and pour it in the sink a few times it will start to drain and then i can run the water without it backing up. About 20 minutes later to half hour and its backs up again?
Any ideas what i can do?

It sounds like theclog is past uou cable lenght i think when you add the boiling water it breaks up the clog moves it bjt as the water cools itstops moving you need a cable longer than your main drain

Give your 15 foot snake to Goodwill, get at least a 25 foot snake.

A drain snake can drill right through a grease clog, the clog can just close up again when the snake pulls back out.
Sometimes giving the coil tip a very slight bend helps it gouge out a bigger hole in the clog.

If you snake properly, you should have hot water almost filling the drain line, and push and pull as you twist vigorously, it breaks up the clog better that way.
And the hot water can push the stuff you just drilled through out and away.

And your snake comes back out much less disgusting!

I would never pour boiling water down any drain or fixture.
Not safe to carry it, and bad for pipes, and can crack some fixtures.
Even when I drain pasta, I have cold water running down the drain first.

If snaking does not work, Instant Power from Home Depot has always worked well for me.
Buy a big bottle, half or full gallon.
Don’t get any on you, or anything else, and wear eye protection.

Let your sink stay unused for as long as possible, like 12 hours, then apply plenty of drain cleaner like a quart or half gallon, with a quart of hot water poured after it, then leave it sit for a half hour or an hour.
The hot water poured after pushes the drain cleaner out of the trap.

After a half hour to an hour, pour very hot but not boiling water into the drain, fill the sink up at least half way.

The weight of the water helps push the clog out.

Or hire a pro to snake better and farther in.
Or they can water jet the crud out.

Once you get it fixed, start using enzyme drain cleaner like Drain Defender, just a little bit once a week will gradually clean off lots of the crud that is lining your drain pipe like greasy jelly mixed with food and crud.

Last edited:
You don't mention whether or not you are on well/septic or city water/sewer.

It's possible that you have roots infiltrating a cracked sewage line, if the snaking doesn't work. So follow the augmented instructions on snaking out the lines with an extended snake as noted above.

All it takes is a very minor crack in a sewage line to create a moist, fertile environment to which tree roots and similar make a beeline for and can clog things pretty easily. I had this happen even on my occasional-use summer home, you would not believe the tangled mess of roots the septic guy pulled out of the line into the septic tank! All it was, was a very minor crack, and those roots took over like ants on a piece of food on a sidewalk...

As you mentioned you have tried every possible tactic but its not working, so that in my opinion don't try it self, you should contact to plumbing company nearby. so that professional plumber can handle it.

Latest posts

Back