Slow/incomplete flushing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfairleigh

Reaction score
My 2-story house was built in 1993 with Crane 3.5 gallon toilets. Lately, one of the 2nd story ones needs 2-3 flushes and occasionally even that isn’t enough. It doesn’t seem clogged, as it eventually flushes fully without any plunging. The tank gear is typical Flushmaster and seems to be working fine. Water leaves the tank at the same velocity as always. The tank refills fully and in the same time as always. I’ve reamed out the rim holes (hard water) with a paper clip, and let CLR sit in there for awhile with no effect.

The lavatory right next to it on the same wall drains perfectly so I’m not sure it could be a vent issue.

I’m not a plumber but have done most of my own plumbing work for 30+ years including new faucets, toilet tank gear, water heaters, etc. So this one has me stumped. Any advice would be appreciated!

Mike

Last edited:
The holes in the rim may still be clogged. Try soaking them with some CLR or poke with a wire coat hanger.

Sometimes the wax ring can ooze out over the flange opening.
Or the plastic horn insert in the flange can catch debris, or the plastic horn can loosen from snaking or plunging, and partially block the drain.

My 2-story house was built in 1993 with Crane 3.5 gallon toilets. Lately, one of the 2nd story ones needs 2-3 flushes and occasionally even that isn’t enough. It doesn’t seem clogged, as it eventually flushes fully without any plunging. The tank gear is typical Flushmaster and seems to be working fine. Water leaves the tank at the same velocity as always. The tank refills fully and in the same time as always. I’ve reamed out the rim holes (hard water) with a paper clip, and let CLR sit in there for awhile with no effect.

The lavatory right next to it on the same wall drains perfectly so I’m not sure it could be a vent issue.

I’m not a plumber but have done most of my own plumbing work for 30+ years including new faucets, toilet tank gear, water heaters, etc. So this one has me stumped. Any advice would be appreciated!

Mike
Is there enough slack on the flapper chain, is the flapper the correct one???
Does the flapper stay up long enough???

Is there enough slack on the flapper chain, is the flapper the correct one???
Does the flapper stay up long enough???

Yes, to all of those.

Plumber came out this afternoon and decided he thinks it's a partial clog somewhere in the drain line. He didn't have the tools onboard to root it but it looks like that'll be the next step.

Dump a 5 gallon bucket of water in the bowl. If it flushes normal it wouldn’t be the drain that is the issue

Yes, to all of those.

Plumber came out this afternoon and decided he thinks it's a partial clog somewhere in the drain line. He didn't have the tools onboard to root it but it looks like that'll be the next step.
Have you tried filling a 5 gallon bucket
and pouring it in the toilet, have you or your plumber used an auger......

A paper clip is not going to do a lot to hard water build up. I am not sure a little CLR will do either unless you could seal the holes and fill the whole cavity with CLR. Like was said above put 3 gallons in a bucket and dump it in the bowl.

Trying a couple things this afternoon, I’ll update when I know anything. This bathroom is used by a person with a severe medical issue so I’m kind of on their schedule.

Latest posts

Back