Slow Flushing Toilet?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kawiski

City Sleeker -> Rancher
Reaction score
Ever since we moved into this 2-story ranch house with own water well, the upstairs toilet would always flush very slowly. It never over flows or anything. Eventually all goes down but very slowly... The 2 other toilets on the 1st floor flush just fine.

I thought it was clogged and, pumped the plunger, used chemicals like DRAINO, etc but no help. Then, I snaked it but still no help. Finally, I removed the toilet and inspected the trap and passage but no fault found. And I snaked it (25') again... But still no help when reinstalled the toilet and flushed.

Someone told me to replace the toilet with a newer style, and it may do the magic. I think the slow flushing toilet is the original when the house was built, 1982. Maybe it was always like that all the time, who knows.

Any idea what to try?

Before buying a new toilet, I would check to see if the waste vent line was free of debris.

I agree. It sounds like a vent problem. If the vent pipe (the pipe you see sticking out of the roof) is clogged, or worse, non-existent, the drainage piping will not get the air it needs to operate properly.

Clogged vent tube...
That makes a perfect sense even though I thought about it. I haven't checked it yet because the roof is steeply angled and I'm afraid of height. Well, I will get some tall ladder and check it out.

Thanks!

Back