Slow drip from bathroom sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmicahdowns

Reaction score
I don’t really know anything about plumbing but would be willing to learn if I don’t do more harm than good.

Our bathroom sink in our townhome is dripping very slowly... about a drop every 30 seconds. Any idea where to start? It has been for maybe a year.

Is your faucet two handles (one for hot one for cold) or single handle? Do you know what brand? If possible, post a picture.

I don’t really know anything about plumbing but would be willing to learn if I don’t do more harm than good.

Our bathroom sink in our townhome is dripping very slowly... about a drop every 30 seconds. Any idea where to start? It has been for maybe a year.
I would suggest looking for an on-line video(like on YouTube) that does a pretty good job of showing as well as procedures typically required to fix it.
You should try to find the name of you faucet to help matching it to either a video and/or replacement parts.
Many are very commonly design but they do vary somewhat. I'll attach a link to a video that show rebuilding a Delta faucet.
They are not all like that. But if you can find a rebuilding kit made for your facet, that would be one way of doing it.
The other is to replace the cartridge, which is the entire plastic piece together with whatever sealing o-rings already assembled.

In my case I always buy faucets that come with a lifetime warranty. So whenever it starts dripping I just call them up and they send me replacement cartridges free of charge. I've been doing this for quite some time now.:D

Here's the link I mention for the Delta faucet. Gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

EDIT: Of course, if it's a one handle, (As @jeffmattero76 asked) it would be a bit different but I sure you could find a video on it.

61869B0F-41EF-4FF4-B0D3-4D2A48C90306.jpeg 6CC1FC40-6B44-4AC7-985C-6B39D41DEC35.jpeg 61869B0F-41EF-4FF4-B0D3-4D2A48C90306.jpeg 6CC1FC40-6B44-4AC7-985C-6B39D41DEC35.jpeg Thank you for your replies. I guess I didn’t have my notifications set correctly and I’m just now seeing them.

Attached is a picture of the delta faucet.

The second pictures shows the head of the faucet is a bit tilted. The right side where the water comes out goes into neck of the faucet. Is that likely the culprit?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest looking for an on-line video(like on YouTube) that does a pretty good job of showing as well as procedures typically required to fix it.
You should try to find the name of you faucet to help matching it to either a video and/or replacement parts.
Many are very commonly design but they do vary somewhat. I'll attach a link to a video that show rebuilding a Delta faucet.
They are not all like that. But if you can find a rebuilding kit made for your facet, that would be one way of doing it.
The other is to replace the cartridge, which is the entire plastic piece together with whatever sealing o-rings already assembled.

In my case I always buy faucets that come with a lifetime warranty. So whenever it starts dripping I just call them up and they send me replacement cartridges free of charge. I've been doing this for quite some time now.:D

Here's the link I mention for the Delta faucet. Gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

EDIT: Of course, if it's a one handle, (As @jeffmattero76 asked) it would be a bit different but I sure you could find a video on it.

Thank you for your reply - I don’t see a video link to click on

Is your faucet two handles (one for hot one for cold) or single handle? Do you know what brand? If possible, post a picture.

Thank you for replying. It’s two handles and the brand is delta. I posted two pictures below but if there would be a better vantage point for a picture I’ll lost more.

Thank you for your reply - I don’t see a video link to click on
Sorry...
Here's one of many videos accessible on YouTube. It may not be the best but I suggest you review a few of them.
Some will give you a heads up to block the drain before you start so as not to drop a small part down it.
If you can't tell whether it's the hot or cold side leaking, you could try shutting the valve to one side or the other to determine which one causes the drip to stop.
You may want to try cleaning out the seat area with a rag in case there was some foreign material.
Also, check bottom of cartridge to make sure it's appears clean.
Replacing the entire cartridge would likely be your next step, if it still leaks after cleaning and re-tightening.

Looks like the aerator is screwed in crooked (cross threaded). Remove and try reinstalling it by first turning it counterclockwise, to seat it straight. then clockwise.

Last edited:
Sorry...
Here's one of many videos accessible on YouTube. It may not be the best but I suggest you review a few of them.
Some will give you a heads up to block the drain before you start so as not to drop a small part down it.
If you can't tell whether it's the hot or cold side leaking, you could try shutting the valve to one side or the other to determine which one causes the drip to stop.
You may want to try cleaning out the seat area with a rag in case there was some foreign material.
Also, check bottom of cartridge to make sure it's appears clean.
Replacing the entire cartridge would likely be your next step, if it still leaks after cleaning and re-tightening.

Looks like the aerator is screwed in crooked (cross threaded). Remove and try reinstalling it by first turning it counterclockwise, to seat it straight. then clockwise.

Thank you. When attempting to follow the directions of the video, I could only get the screw out and couldn’t get the top part off to access the nut (see picture). How do I get the top off? Does it screw off or should I be able to pull it off?

Attachments

• 9F9FAE18-6BFC-4A18-A8C3-57042D84026B.jpeg
    9F9FAE18-6BFC-4A18-A8C3-57042D84026B.jpeg
    857.6 KB · Views: 16
If that small bolt laying there was taken out from the TOP of the handle then I would have to say that was holding the handle down and a little wiggling and upward pull should remove the handle.
If it is stubborn you can insert a flat-bladed screwdriver in the horizontal slot below the handle and twist the screwdriver a bit to loosen it.

Last edited:
The acrylic piece doesn't have to come off. Just take the screw out from the top of the chrome handle. Squirt some penetrating
oil down in the hole. Give it a little while then gently wiggle it from side to side and it will come off. Then take off the nut and
pull out the stem and rubber seat and spring. If you buy the delta kits you will see what I mean. Just a FRIENDLY reminder to
turn the water off before doing this. Do the hot and the cold side.

How do I clean the parts or assess whether they’re broken? I don’t know what any are called.

Attachments

• E350CC5B-4757-4FB8-940D-52A301F309B0.jpeg
    E350CC5B-4757-4FB8-940D-52A301F309B0.jpeg
    923.5 KB · Views: 23
  • C1681BBE-29AE-4A07-8E46-596F739C4AAD.jpeg
    C1681BBE-29AE-4A07-8E46-596F739C4AAD.jpeg
    813.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 5D464891-9BA0-40ED-9D76-B088700128C0.jpeg
    5D464891-9BA0-40ED-9D76-B088700128C0.jpeg
    814.8 KB · Views: 22
The cartridge is the white thing that was under the nut, and the seal/seat is the black thing that is left in the hole.

Slide a number 2, or 3 Phillips screw driver into the seal/seat and lift up, the seal, and the spring under it should come out.

Take the cartridge, seal, and spring with you to HomeDesperate, and buy new ones. Get two cartridges, and two seals. You might as well do both the hot and cold while your there.

Put them in, and check to be sure you’ve got it fixed. And put the handles back on. Cut apart the packaging, and tape the part which identifies the cartridge, and seal numbers, and tape it in the inside of the cabinet door, so you know what to buy next time.

How do I clean the parts or assess whether they’re broken? I don’t know what any are called.
Don’t forget to report back that all is well. Also feel free to hit that donate tab at the top of the page as a thank you to the forum.

Don’t forget to report back that all is well. Also feel free to hit that donate tab at the top of the page as a thank you to the forum.
Ricky - thank you for your comments. I haven’t made progress yet as I’ve been out of town but will update.

When you say “hit donate”, I didn’t realize that was an option! How does all this work... are the staff who are paid and donations contributes?

This has been very helpful - thank you.

I purchased a new seal, spring and stem, but don’t k ownhow to reassemble.

The seal and spring are in the hole (first picture).
The stem is in the handle (second picture)
When I put the stem/handle on, it doesn’t go down (third picture).

Should I just apply wd-40 and force or is there a common mistake im overlooking so that it goes on?

Attachments

• 0CEFF0B5-6F4E-4BC5-9715-74E5147D355D.jpeg
    0CEFF0B5-6F4E-4BC5-9715-74E5147D355D.jpeg
    771.6 KB · Views: 18
  • C7C64BED-49D5-4089-9916-9942BA614585.jpeg
    C7C64BED-49D5-4089-9916-9942BA614585.jpeg
    787.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 07E162D9-A8D7-4CBB-A2D6-6CE12DD6F660.jpeg
    07E162D9-A8D7-4CBB-A2D6-6CE12DD6F660.jpeg
    752.7 KB · Views: 12
This has been very helpful - thank you.

I purchased a new seal, spring and stem, but don’t k ownhow to reassemble.

The seal and spring are in the hole (first picture).
The stem is in the handle (second picture)
When I put the stem/handle on, it doesn’t go down (third picture).

Should I just apply wd-40 and force or is there a common mistake im overlooking so that it goes on?
Looks like you my have forgotten how it came apart. Look back at your earlier pictures. the cartridge should be inserted into the base first. NO HANDLE! Then there's that follower nut that tightens it down. Then the handle gets put on.

Make sure the cartridge is inserted correctly and looks like your picture in post #12 above.

EDIT: If it doesn't slip in easily you may have the incorrect cartridge.

Latest posts

Back