Slow double kitchen sink drain

Discussion in 'Drain and Sewer Cleaning' started by M_susbilla, Aug 9, 2019.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Aug 9, 2019 #1

M_susbilla

M_susbilla

M_susbilla

hi everyone,

First timer here. I’m hoping someone can shed some light on my slow drain issue. Here’s the details:

-both sinks drain slowly
    -disposal side will drain while on. Water will spew back in when off
    -drano helps for s few days
    -weird knocking noise after using drano

Things I’m going to try:
    -check p trap
    -use hand auger if p trap is clear

I found a weird plug under the sink that has a slow leak. Not sure what it is. Any thoughts? See pic. Open to any suggestions as well.

Thanks in advance,
    Marc

2. Aug 9, 2019 #2

MASTRPLUMB

MASTRPLUMB

MASTRPLUMB

Professional Professional

Thats what is called a clean out, so you can run a power snake down the drain pipe to clear the blockage,
    that is 10 or 15 feet down the pipe further then draino or other such products can get though standing
    water, think about it these things have NO motive power to get down the pipe !
    that is why you need a Electric POWER Snake to reach all the way to the main drain pipe

3. Aug 9, 2019 #3

CT18

CT18

CT18

Be careful with that draino in the line. Many a sewer cleaner has scars from that getting on them

MASTRPLUMB likes this.
  4. Aug 9, 2019 #4

House Doc

House Doc

House Doc

"If it's broken we fix it

Good morning
    First...not a fan of Draino/acid type cleaners. Have been burned by customers neglecting to inform me that they have poured a half gallon of this stuff down their drain before they called me.
    If it's not completely stopped up I would try this:
    ZEP Enforcer 64oz Drain Cleaner ZLDC648 or something comparable before trying to snake it. You can Google "Drain Care" to find it. Follow the directions and 90% of the time it will clear the drains. (Those enzymes are voracious little suckers!)
    It may take a couple of "treatments" but I've used and recommended it for years with good results. It's also great for preventative maintenance every month or two.

5. Aug 9, 2019 #5

M_susbilla

M_susbilla

M_susbilla

Thanks for the input so far.
    Update:
    -p trap is clear
    -all piping flows well to drain

Next step:
    -hand auger or snake down cleanout

Questions:
    -would you recommend power snake or auger?
    -the cleanout is so close to the ground, I can’t put a bucket. Any ideas to catch water?
    -or should I just hire a professional at this point?
    -should I keep trying chems?

Did some research on the cleanout. Looks like if the drain is clear, I should be able to see the water flow through the cleanout. Problem is clearance to catch water if it’s not clear. Maybe I’ll just lay down a bunch of rags. Again, open to more ideas. Thanks again.

6. Aug 9, 2019 #6

Geofd

Geofd

Geofd

use a wet vac if your comfortable with tools you could rent a small power snake 1/4 by 35 or 50' should do it wear gloves and have patience pull the cable out of the drum slowly and feed it into the drain...when you feel resistance stop pushing and stay there for a bit....then try pushing.....not forcing again then pull it back a few feet then push it in repeat this until the cable is all the way out pull it back....and repeat the process a few times then run hot water and see what happens

7. Aug 10, 2019 #7

M_susbilla

M_susbilla

M_susbilla

F251ECF9-9AC0-4773-805E-042353D75791.jpeg The cleanout has a screen in the way. Does this come off? See pic

8. Aug 10, 2019 #8

Geofd

Geofd

Geofd

that looks a test cap it should have been removed before the cleanout fitting was put on its used for testing the drainage system for leaks you could get a hole saw a little smaller than the cap and drill it out or chip it out with a small chisel or screw driver

9. Aug 10, 2019 #9

M_susbilla

M_susbilla

M_susbilla

Ah, wish I read this before sealing up the clean out plug. That test cap Is def sealed. Looks like it’s not supposed to come out. Thanks for confirming geofd.

Update:
    -no more slow drain
    -used 25’ hand auger (found at least 3 good blockages, many small ones)
    -ran out of wire but did feel another blockage. Should I go back in with a longer wire?

Thanks everyone for the help so far.

10. Aug 10, 2019 #10

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

If you don’t have a small hole saw, you can get that test cap out of the way by drilling a series of small holes all around the edge in a circle, almost but not quite touching each other.
    Don’t make any contact with the threads of your clean out fitting.

Then put the bit back in any hole, run the drill at high speed, and apply gentle side pressure to connect the holes together.

Like a poor man’s RotoZip tool.

Drill your first holes at the bottom, and have old towels ready to collect any water that trickles out.

Congrats on becoming a drain snaker.
    That nasty stink is the smell of victory, and of money still in your wallet.

11. Aug 11, 2019 #11

MASTRPLUMB

MASTRPLUMB

MASTRPLUMB

Forget all that drill bullsxxt, Just take a hammer and a flat blade screwdriver and knock it out,
    used to do that all the time,
    #2 Forget that 1/4" cable Shxt you need at least a 3/8" cable "POWER" Snake that can go at leaST 50',
    #3 Go to your local Home Depot Tool Rental and get a Electric EEl power snake and run down that drain,
    #4 If you look from standing in front of your kitchen sink over to the nearest bathroom thats
    HOW FAR YOU NEED TO RUN !
    A Masters Degree in Drainology, ! been snaking since 1975
    Been a CA. Licensed C-36 Plumbing Contractor since Jan. 1989

JHEARD, Rickyman and GReynolds929 like this.