Sink gurgling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zach Crouse

Reaction score
Hello.
I recently tried installing a garbage disposal in a sink that did not previously have one.
The outlet for the garbage disposal sits slightly above the wall drain outlet. I never had gurgling in any of my drains in the house but began to have issues with only the kitchen sink gurgling on both sides after it drains. This does not happen if I take the garbage disposal off. Any ideas on how to prevent the gurgle?

Attachments

• 20191024_121551.jpg
    20191024_121551.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
Probably not important, but your disposal P trap is not sitting plumb.

Maybe the drain line is poorly vented, and is sucking some air through the traps as needed.
With a disposer installed, there is more resistance on that side so the other bowl is giving up more air through the trap.
So it is now more noticeable.

You could try adding an air admittance valve to the copper drain line, to see if that helps.

But maybe the AAV will get fouled by disposal crud, pros on here could advise.

Although I see them used very often with a disposer on an island sink, not sure if up to plumbing code.

Your drain line might also need snaking.

you have 2 traps, you could have one. there is no reason for the sink to gurgle unless maybe the sink was drawing air from the other half before you added the disposal. Unless its not vented at all.
Was there a trap on both sides of the sink before you added the disposal?

There were always two traps. I can't get the y diverter of without cutting pipes. It's a pretty poor design imo.

Is the wye screwed into the wall? If the wye screws in you could unscrew it and see if there is a vent. Love the shutoff for the cold. The drain might not be perfect but there is nothing under the sink that would make it gurgle. I would bet $ its either not vented or is blocked. Its the air behind the water that makes it flow well.

Back