Sink Drainage Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbs

Reaction score
I'm a plumbing novice with a blocked kitchen sink looking for advice. To figure out where the blockage is I checked how much water it took to fill the pipe. Answer: 2 gallons. (Drainage is insignificant.) I checked under the house and it has 2 inch pipe. So I figured the blockage was something like 12 feet down. I got a cheap 25 foot drum auger and was able to run the entire length through with little problem other than what I assume are corners. That's well past where it seems the blockage should be. The snake came out relatively clean with no obvious signs of any gunk. Result: no change. What am I missing here? Anything else easy I might try or is it plumber time?

That could well be. But I'm still curious as to why when fully drained it consistently takes just two gallons to fill up to the base of the sink. Shouldn't twenty-five feet of 2" pipe hold about four gallons?

Its a kitchen sink. Its blocked with grease the inside of that pipe is in reality 1 inch. A snake isnt going to fix your problem

The idea that the real inside diameter is now somewhat less than 2" due to years of accumulated grease would explain it and makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back