Sink drain issue

Discussion in 'Toilets and Sinks' started by Quazi, Aug 16, 2019.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Aug 16, 2019 #1

Quazi

Quazi

Quazi

Hi guys, I have a new vanity that I installed, and the original drain plumbing has an in line air vent installed. This shoots out the drain line to in front of the sink connector and just above it. See pics.

I want to hack of a couple of inches of the sink drain line. However, in order to get the room I need, I need to cut it to the top line in the picture. Doing that, the bottom of the sink drain will not seat all the way down in the p-trap. Is that OK? I figure it is, as the sink line is not under much pressure, and the gasket should keep the water out. However, I would like some expert opinion. Or is there a better way to do this?

You help is much appreciated!

2. Aug 16, 2019 #2

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

You want at least an inch of the sink tailpiece to go into the P trap, past the tapered plastic washer and nut.

It will probably hold ok with less than an inch, as long as there is something projecting past the tapered plastic washer.
    But being too short it might slip out with use, or the stubby end of the tailpiece will rust and shorten and leak.

3. Aug 16, 2019 #3

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

Jeff Handy

That bendy-straw type of P-trap is likely to plug up with hair, plan on taking it apart to clean it as needed.