sink / disposer not draining properly

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredhead1260

Reaction score
I just had a new sink and dishwasher installed but we re-used the disposer I had on the old sink which worked fine. It was uninstalled for around a month, had it in the garage waiting until it could be installed once again. Right away I noticed that the disposer doesn't drain properly, meaning you can see water accumulating inside it and not draining out. The sink eventually fills up too if you keep the water running long enough. But the dishwasher drains just fine (going through the disposer) and water does not accumulate. The Insinkerator people tell me that water flowing through with the elbow disconnected means the unit is fine. And yes, when you flip the switch it does spin around. If there is standing water it creates such a water vortex that the rubber baffle thing pops out.

I am scratching my head on why this would be behaving like there's a clog, but there isn't a clog. I did remove the drain elbow and take a peek inside the p-trap but there's nothing in there. The water of course all drained out at that point and my bucket wasn't big enough. :( I do like the fact that the interior of my new cabinet is plastic right about now. Cleanup was no problem.

Any suggestions? I would normally think the disposer is clogged somewhere, but if the water does drain out using the dishwasher, that sort of throws that theory out the window. For now I have asked the guy who installed it to come back and check it out.

Did you install a new rubber gasket where the disposal attaches to its mounting bracket ?

It also keeps silverware from falling so easily into the disposal and things from splashing out of the disposal.

Last edited:
Did you install a new rubber gasket where the disposal attaches to its mounting bracket ?

It also keeps silverware from falling so easily into the disposal and things from splashing out of the disposal.

Yes, but it doesn't stay in there when the disposer is full of water. It did before it was reinstalled in this new sink.

Correction, water does accumulate when draining from the dishwasher into the disposer.

So yesterday I took everything apart and snaked the drain. At that moment it felt like there was something in the drain pipe in the wall somewhere which released and then it drained properly - the sink and disposer were at that point empty.

This morning now there’s water in the disposer and sink. So I’m thinking it’s the p trap setup. I remember that the guy reused the black elbow pipe instead of buying a new one, so that may be too short meaning it doesn’t go far enough below the level of the disposer.
Just guessing th

Attachments

• 353322AF-6EBC-4085-A60D-5307DAF5BC6D.jpeg
    353322AF-6EBC-4085-A60D-5307DAF5BC6D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 5269291A-BB79-4466-9098-7AF289D075D0.jpeg
    5269291A-BB79-4466-9098-7AF289D075D0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • EF077B6A-F191-4BFB-9A6C-95D077CFF35A.jpeg
    EF077B6A-F191-4BFB-9A6C-95D077CFF35A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 5FE9A025-404D-495E-8F00-A4914F17FB1B.jpeg
    5FE9A025-404D-495E-8F00-A4914F17FB1B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
The opening in the wall is pretty high. It doesnt look like there is any pitch on the pipe going into the wall. You can take the trap apart and check to see if it clear. If water is sitting in the sink then there has to be a blockage somewhere.

Added one more photo. The hose does go up high and through the hole in the cabinet to the right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
If water appeared in the sink by itself, then your drain line is clogged elsewhere in the house.
Another fixture was used, maybe a shower or sink, and the drain water hit the clog, had nowhere to go, and followed the path of least resistance to escape into your sink.

Back