Simple question for an experienced plumber

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballix

Reaction score
Hey,

First of all thanks for taking the time to answer a question from a DIY Schlep!

To the point, I found a leak. It destroyed a bunch of my sheetrock. I want to fix this right.

What you see is a piece of copper, leading to an outdoor spicet. The spicet Is mounted to the exterior wall. What is the correct way to fix this?

I apologize if this question had been asked couldn't find it in the forums, where it appears pex is inserted in the copper pipe. Can I just use a compression coupler?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20190814_213301.jpg
    20190814_213301.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
I'm no plumber nor have I ever worked with PEX but here's my take.
After taking a close look at that copper pipe, it appears that it could very well be the end of a Freeze Proof outside spigot. that froze up. You either left a hose attached to it not allowing it to drain when shut or it wasn't installed sloping out to allow self drainage when shut.
In any case, if it is a freeze proof spigot it should be replaced. It looks like it could be something like the following link shows. You would want to get one that has the same length and reconnect at that 1/2" PEX connection.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prier-P...40194?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-NA-_-204740194-_-N

I'm no plumber nor have I ever worked with PEX but here's my take.
After taking a close look at that copper pipe, it appears that it could very well be the end of a Freeze Proof outside spigot. that froze up. You either left a hose attached to it not allowing it to drain when shut or it wasn't installed sloping out to allow self drainage when shut.
In any case, if it is a freeze proof spigot it should be replaced. It looks like it could be something like the following link shows. You would want to get one that has the same length and reconnect at that 1/2" PEX connection.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prier-P...40194?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-NA-_-204740194-_-N

Thank you! I did leave a hose connected to that last winter until I noticed it. I appreciate your input. I will look for a new spigot.

Yup, it froze and split.

You can get hose bibs with a pex connection right on it. No copper or soldering involved. A few fittings and you’re good to go.

When the new hose bibb is installed make sure it’s pitched forward so water can drain out

Back