Side inlets on "Old" style toilet drains

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrecisionPlum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So why are they no longer around?

I know the knee jerk answer most likely has to do with venting of fixtures and drain clogs ... but really?
They were in place for years with little problem. Probably no more then any other type of bathroom drain line.
Any "Old Timers" have a perspective on this from your own experience?

Just curious.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Attachments

• Toilet Drain With Side Inlets.jpg
    Toilet Drain With Side Inlets.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 14
They were often used in two story houses in between the floor because there wasn’t a lot of room for fittings. No one wants to butcher the structure or have furr downs to hide pipe.

They’ve never caused any trouble for me and we have quite a few here that are still in service throughout our historic district

They were often used in two story houses in between the floor because there wasn’t a lot of room for fittings. No one wants to butcher the structure or have furr downs to hide pipe.

They’ve never caused any trouble for me and we have quite a few here that are still in service throughout our historic district
Right, so why are they out of code? They worked for years.

People have different ideas. While it does work, it’s not ideal. But there are plenty of codes that are not ideal.

I’m not a code book thumper, that’s for sure. That’s a whole different subject. 🤓

Why?
Because the guys in the glass building with pointed heads and protractors in their shirt pockets have said after crunching some arbitrary numbers this is the most efficient way for it to drain.. They speak words like flat vent and dry vent, and crown vent The poindexter in the back of the room shouted out 5 gallons vs 1.5 gallon flush and received a nod from a pointy head with tape holding his glasses together.

Latest posts

Back