Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregRRR

Reaction score
upload_2019-12-30_22-45-5.jpeg

I have been having trouble with my washer machine drain overflowing after large loads .

The grey washer machine hose drains into the 2” standpipe which sits about 1 1/2 ft higher than the washer. After a few overflows, I tried a new, taller standpipe and that did not help. Above the Sani-tee is the vent stack. Below the sani-tee and 60 elbows, it drains into the main cast.

I have had no problems with backups or clogs. The new GE washing machine simply pumps too fast for the drain to catch up.

what can I do besides replacing all of the 2” with 3”? Does this look like it’s done properly?

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-30_22-45-0.jpeg
    upload_2019-12-30_22-45-0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
That is a very common complaint on here.

The new washing machines just pump water too darn fast.

Some people have had luck by raising the standpipe even higher, so the washer has to pump uphill more, which slows down the discharge rate.

Others have put a restriction on the size of the discharge hose.
For example, by installing a new hose that is a smaller diameter.

Or by slipping a plastic fitting with barbed male end inside the end of your hose, then fastening it with a hose clamp or two.
So the water has to squeeze through a smaller outlet, and flow rate is reduced.

You might want to call the manufacturer and ask if they have any advice.

Maybe there is a way to re-program the pump speed to a slower discharge rate.

You mentioned you, "tried a new, taller standpipe and that did not help."
Is that be fore the picture you posted or after?
Actually there are a number of dimension requirements. One being that the TOP of the standpipe must be a minimum of 18" above the trap weir/arm. The picture you show doesn't appear to meet that minimum requirement. And could be one factor that contributes to the backing up problem.

Another contributing factor would be the lack of a 3" drain line nearby for the trap arm to dump into.

The suggestions Jeff offered are valid suggestions that may help the current(somewhat inadequacy) design.

How much slope does that trap arm have? Make sure you have a full 1/4" per foot slope.

A couple of examples of how to do the plumbing for a washing machine. Depending on where you live, you're either bound to UPC or IPC. UPC is more restrictive. (Please note in the 2nd picture the cleanout plug is not necessary on the trap). Not sure if the cleanout would be on a sanitary tee either... Do they make tees specifically for cleanouts on a vertical pipe?
WashingMachinePlumbingUPC.jpg washingmachineplumb2.png

Latest posts

Back