Sick of bamboo floor fumes problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithmiller6

Reaction score
If one has installed a bamboo floor and had trouble with fumes? We purchased Morning Star Bamboo from Lumber Liquidators and installed it in a bedroom. We had planned to do the whole second floor with it but had installation delays--luckily! We noticed a strange, acrid odor right after installation. We weren't using the room much, though, so it wasn't a problem. We just left the window open for a few days, thinking that would take care of it. Well, a couple months later we moved in and the fumes were AWFUL--I mean, make your eyes tear and your nose burn awful. For the past month we have been venting the room with a fan to the outside, but it doesn't seem to be doing much good. We've been sleeping in this room and if we can't ventilate it for at least ten hours first (and we often can't now that the weather is getting so cold) then I wake up with a burning nose and a headache and my husband's eyes swell up. This product supposedly meets "more stringent" European emission standards, but it is definitely causing a health issue for us--perhaps not for folks who don't have allergies or sensitivities or whatever, but for us it is a big problem. LL will not take what's left back. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with bamboo products and whether they've been able to mitigate it. I don't really want to continue with the installation, but if LL continues to balk at taking it back, we're not sure what we'll do...looking into other flooring options, but if we're saddled with this bamboo, we may not have $$ left over to do anything with this floor and may have to do what we can with ventilating whenever we can! If this is a known health issue with these floors, though, and not "just us" (I do have a type of migraine that makes me sensitive to chemicals) then we want to push LL both to take this stuff back and to stop selling it!

You may find that an attorney might be necessary to help you resolve this issue, but there are a few questions which need to be answered. First of all, I assume you nailed down this flooring and did not use a glue down product? Some glues use chemicals which could cause the sensitivity issues you described.

If this was a nail down product, there are sealants which could be applied to the surface to seal the flooring and help with with the smells, but it is possible you could also have an issue with any new product application.

Before consulting with an attorney, contact Lumber Liquidator customer service and ask to speak with a supervisor. You might be able to negotiate a compromise where they will allow you to return the unused boxes provided you upgrade to a better product which does not use the specific chemicals which cause you these issues.

Good luck and keep us informed on the outcome!

This is refinished bamboo? We put down refinished carbonized bamboo from Hawaiian Pacific Flooring about a month ago, and have had no such problem. That has got to be abnormal!

I have had bamboo flooring in my home for about 3 years. It smelled a little the first few weeks, but not enough to be annoying. I have since had no issues. I really like it over hardwood or carpet.

Taken from the original poster..."but it is definitely causing a health issue for us--perhaps not for folks who don't have allergies or sensitivities or whatever, but for us it is a big problem."

With this being said, their problem is unique and something most of us are not aware of. My sister has this symptom and her husband, who is a General Contractor, has to really do alot of research before he does any home remodeling.

I think first things first you should tear out and replace the floor if it is causing health issues and from there bring it to the attention of the company you purchased it from and if they would help or at least give you an answer on why this would happen you should talk to the manufacturer. But as asked before is it glue down? if it is my guess is that it is the glue that you would be smelling and not the wood. Try googling the make and model of the flooring to see if there has been any other complaints or recalls?

Exactly my thoughts. As far as my own sister, her husband installed bamboo floors and it needed to be nailed down due to the fumes from the glue. I installed glue down floors and the fumes got me dizzy for the first few days!

I installed some hardwood floors(Not sure what wood) at my mothers house and she is allergic to everything so I had to nail down as well.

We had three rooms in the house that needed new floors and we went with bamboo flooring in 2 of them with a cheaper particle type hardwood for the 3rd (guest room).

The floors were all installed by the same fellow, and he told us up front that he uses non-toxic/pet-safe products in all his jobs so we weren't expecting anything toxic.. but the 3rd room (not the bamboo) really STUNK!

After doing the same venting and fanning as you did for a week we called the supplier back and he admitted that we really went with a cheap product and he's had complaints from others who bought the same stuff.

Then he gave us an air-freshner that's got baking soda and vanilla beans in it, we left that in the room for another week and it did the trick!

What is (refinished) bamboo flooring. Any way it is not the bamboo . I grow bamboo you can eat it ect. It is the glue they use to make it .

Last edited:
I was wondering why new life was given to this old thread.
Very interesting and valuable info.

Sounds to me like someone used Google Search to let everyone know about the impending lawsuit about LL.

Back