shutting H2O off on vacation

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

sunliner

Reaction score
Might be a stupid question or two here but....
We're going out of town for a week or so on two different occasions this year. After hearing a tale from a coworker of a leak that developed when he was out, I started shutting off my water to the house if we leave for any real length of time to minimize potential damage.
I'm asking here what the pro's think of this practice. I've heard the 'armchair quarterbacks" say that I should not turn off water except for emergencies because it can cause problems (?) if it's turned off regularly. I don't know what those problems could be other than maybe if the water heater ran low while powered up.
So....Water shut off while on vacation....good idea or bad?
and should I also turn off the breaker to the water heater if I'm gone for a week, or will that breed disease and pestilence?
thanks in advance for your time
-Mike

johnjh2o

Professional
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Turn the water off at the main valve I do it myself when we go on vacation.

Reaction score
When turning your water heater off for long times you need to be carful of Legionellosis disease

frodo

Just call me Macgyver
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
right here right now, over there later on.
good practice, turn off water and the gas. if, electric WH turn off breaker no since heating water not used

when you turn off the water, open an outside faucet, it will release the pressure, drain down system

KULTULZ

Jack of All Trades ~ Master of None
Professional
Reaction score
good practice, turn off water and the gas. if, electric WH turn off breaker no since heating water not used

when you turn off the water, open an outside faucet, it will release the pressure, drain down system
Just make sure electric WH is full and burped before turning power back on, correct?

donald_w

Reaction score
I also turn off the main water valve, but I now leave the system pressurized. When I used to open a faucet to drain the system, I always came back to my iron pipes full of rust.

I would also suggest turning off the valves at the washing machine. I once came home to the washing machine full of water and overflowing. I suspect that the water pressure helps hold the valve on the machine itself closed, and with the pressure off, the old valve leaked (possibly also a slight drip at the main shutoff eventually filled the washer).

steventheplumber

Reaction score
I would definitely turn of the water and gas for that matter. Better not to leave anything to chance, or have any bad thoughts while you are on vacation. This is one of those better be safe than sorry kind of things.

KULTULZ

Jack of All Trades ~ Master of None
Professional
Reaction score
I also turn off the main water valve, but I now leave the system pressurized.

When I used to open a faucet to drain the system, I always came back to my iron pipes full of rust.

I would also suggest turning off the valves at the washing machine.

I once came home to the washing machine full of water and overflowing. I suspect that the water pressure helps hold the valve on the machine itself closed, and with the pressure off, the old valve leaked (possibly also a slight drip at the main shutoff eventually filled the washer).
...hmmph...

Never thought of that.... THANX! ;)

Latest posts

Group Builder