Shut off valve for outside spigot

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charrbrad

Reaction score
upload_2019-9-3_13-22-10.png

I am trying to find the shut off valve for the outside spigot as it is leaking. I looked in the house and found the valves in the picture attached. The top two feed into the washer could the bottom one be for the outside spigot? I did turn it and nothing happened. I am at wits end.....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You have to find where the pipe for the outside hose bib comes through the wall. Usually just above the sill plate, but could vary. Typically there is a dedicated shut off valve for exterior hose bibs.

Do you have a ceiling in the basement which would make it tough to see? Look in the area of the hose bib location if you happen to have removable ceiling tiles.

If you live in an area subject to freezing (assuming you just moved into this house) you better find it before the winter gets here.

That red handle valve you shut, shuts off the cold water to that washing machine spigot shown on the right.

BTW...connected to that washer spigot is a flex hose that splits to what appears to be a washing machine hose on the right. What is that left side, that's out of view going to? (Nothing to do with your question. Just curious.)

Diehard I have no idea where it’s going but will check....

There are so many valves I can’t make heads or tails of what goes where....it’s a very old house and the basement is finished. I even found a valve in a closet that runs to the upstairs bathroom, when turned in either direction does nothing. I follow the hose line to the house and there is a wall there....ugggg, which could mean it’s behind there, I don’t want to tear up the wall. Someone suggested a hose nozzle with shut off valves, will this work temporarily?

Diehard I have no idea where it’s going but will check....

There are so many valves I can’t make heads or tails of what goes where....it’s a very old house and the basement is finished. I even found a valve in a closet that runs to the upstairs bathroom, when turned in either direction does nothing. I follow the hose line to the house and there is a wall there....ugggg, which could mean it’s behind there, I don’t want to tear up the wall. Someone suggested a hose nozzle with shut off valves, will this work temporarily?
Yeah you could use something like this.nelson-hose-connectors-repair-50305-64_1000.jpg

Are you in a cold climate?

Not totally sure what you mean by, "I follow the hose line to the house and there is a wall there".
The hose bib is not mounted on the house?
Does the pipe enter below grade?
Plastered ceilings?
Hopefully they didn't conceal that valve above a finished ceiling.

This is the hose bib...when you say below grade? I’m in NJ

upload_2019-9-3_15-58-2.jpeg

How do I install this piece? Do I need to remove anything?

So is that the house wall?
If so, can you get some reference to vertical height relative to the top of the foundation?
If not, chances are that the footing for the foundation is roughly 4 feet below grade, which would make the basement floor ROUGHLY 16" +/- higher. Which COULD make that pipe about 48"-16"=32" plus the distance of the spigot above grade = the approx. distance above the floor slab/floor. This is really rough figuring, of course.

But if have access to the other side of that wall, you should be seeing a pipe going through the wall. There cannot be many pipes going through the concrete wall.

Another thought, if possible, would be to have someone shake the hell out of the spigot and while you try to find it from inside.

If you're in NJ, I have to assume you recently moved into that house. The previous owner would of had to have access to the interior shutoff valve for winter time closing. Ask them!

I’ve lived here for a few years and the leak just started. Seller moved out of NJ. I will try shaking to see where it goes. In the meantime can you tell me how to install the piece in the picture you sent to me?

How do I install this piece? Do I need to remove anything?
Well of course you would have to shut off the water to it first.
Since it looks like it is screwed to the end of that pipe, you could theoretically unscrew that valve and replaceit with a new one. Likely 1/2" female threads.
HOWEVER, you have to pray that the pipe doesn't turn while trying to remove the valve. Hopefully that pipe is exposed enough to hold it from rotating. Looks like worse comes to worse a basin wrench may grab it. ???????????
But before you did that, while the water is turned off, you could try removing the valve stem. It would likely have an old washer that could be replaced. ????

Last edited:
I’ve lived here for a few years and the leak just started. Seller moved out of NJ. I will try shaking to see where it goes. In the meantime can you tell me how to install the piece in the picture you sent to me?
I'm surprised that section of pipe never froze.

OH! EDIT: That piece simply screws on the hose end of the spigot, just like a hose would. But I wouldn't go thru the winter with it.

I just need something temporary until I can get the plumber here. The drip is increasing my water bill. Not sure how this piece will stop it......one question, once installed, how will it stop the drip? Will water build up behind it? I ask these questions, because I have no idea what I'm doing :(.

That piece has a ball valve in it.
That little yellow handle, shown in-line with that piece of hose, is the open position. When that handle is rotated 90 degrees it shuts off the flow. No more dripping until the plumber comes. That allows you to use the spigot for whatever reason in the meantime. If you just wanted to stop it leaking, there are caps that screw on the hose thread.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/yardsmith-...fzBhwxr5zVD-xYrHWzhoCHXkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

thank you and thank you for all your patience.....much appreciated.

Hi Diehard, I found something interesting this morning. I shook the pipe as suggested and it looks like the noise is coming from the wall behind the toilet. I shut the valve off for the toilet and the leak remained....any thoughts?

turn the water meter off.
open the leaking hose bib to let the pressure off the system
remove the screw holding the handle on the stem
with a crescent wrench. unscrew the brass nut below the handle
pull the stem
on the bottom of the stem is a phillips head screw
remove screw
under the screw is a ''bib washer''
take the stem and the washer to a plumbing supply house
NOT a orange big box store
2 entrance doors..showroom and counter sales
go into counter sales. the guys leaning on the water cooler and coffee pot are plumbers
say hello. they look mean, but will not bite
hand the stem to the guy behind the counter and ask him to give you a bib washer that fits
tell the plumbers bye as you leave

stop by the hardware store on the way home and buy some
https://www.acehardware.com/departm...nts/Plasters&gclid=CJf7g8zS0OQCFYkCgQod6rEMvQ

after you finish with the hose bib, patch the hole behind that hose bib

Thank you, but I’ve tried to remove the hose bib, but I can’t, it won’t budge.....I put a wrench on the pipe to hold it and another on the hose bib nut to turn it and it won’t move...I’m so frustrated with this

You are not paying attention to the good advice Frodo spelled out for you.

He was explaining how to take the hose bib apart, to be able to remove the stem, which is the part that gets turned by the handle.

The stem moves in and out to control water flow.

Inside the hose bib, the stem has a rubber or plastic washer that creates the seal that shuts off the water.

This little washer can be easily replaced.

Once you remove the handle, there is a small nut that holds the stem inside the hose bib.

Unscrew that nut, then the whole stem can come out.

Hi Diehard, I found something interesting this morning. I shook the pipe as suggested and it looks like the noise is coming from the wall behind the toilet. I shut the valve off for the toilet and the leak remained....any thoughts?
You could do what I did when I was Identifying all my fuses and their circuts.
If you haven't already, you could try shutting off one of those many valves at a time to see if it stops it. However, even with the correct valve, it would likely still drip for a while so you'll have to open the spigot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back