Shut off valve for outside spigot

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a boiler drain not a hose bib
it is soldered onto the pipe, it is not threaded

the way that you loosen that nut
using a 14'' or a 18'' pipe wrench
hold backup on the valve, so that it does not move
use a box end wrench, preferably a 16 point box end

turn the box end wrench to the left

View attachment 21881

many valves , the pipe fits into the brass
so you have an option. solder it or screw it
they soldered it

Thank you....you mentioned that it was soldered, if that’s the case how do I remove? Is it possible that there is a washer inside that could be replaced?

6-point box end(In lieu of a 12 point.) is what I believe he meant.

BTW...The valve assembly is soldered to the pipe(at your 2nd arrow). Those are pipe threads to allow the option to either screw it into a female threaded fitting OR soldered it to a copper pipe, as it was done.
That hex nut, on the stem that frodo was telling you how to remove, to access the washer, is screwed.

Another thought! I think you should bite the bullet and have a non freeze spigot installed as well as having the plumber locate the isolation valve for that spigot or alternately install one.

Last edited:
Maybe you are turning it the wrong way?
It comes off by turning counter-clockwise.
AKA leftie-loosie.

But it could be corroded on, and if you break it, you will have to turn off all your water.

Unless you can find the supply shut-off that is eluding you down in that old basement.

Talk to a handy neighbor, or ask at your hardware store if any of the handy folks there will take on this very simple job for you.

It will be cheaper than a pro plumber, and they can help you find the correct shut-off valve to label it for the future.
All at a lower hourly rate.

You get on a plumbing forum full of professional plumbers and suggest that the op hire an unlicensed plumber to illegally perform work for him just to save few bucks!? Not only would this open op up to serious liability issues as whoever is hired would no be licensed, bonded, and insured; but would more than likely cost. Him more in the long run when he has to hire a professional to do the job right. Not the smartest advice to give a homeowner.

You get on a plumbing forum full of professional plumbers and suggest that the op hire an unlicensed plumber to illegally perform work for him just to save few bucks!? Not only would this open op up to serious liability issues as whoever is hired would no be licensed, bonded, and insured; but would more than likely cost. Him more in the long run when he has to hire a professional to do the job right. Not the smartest advice to give a homeowner.
I don't believe he said hire an unlicensed plumber. I believe he was saying he could get a handyman or possibly his neighbor. Or anyone one that would be familiar enough with what had to be done to resolve what could be a simple job for them.
This is a DIY forum as well and there are certain things that are allowed to be done by an owner or perhaps someone to help him do it.

Last edited:
I don't believe he said hire an unlicensed plumber. I believe he was saying he could get a handyman or possibly his neighbor. Or anyone one that would be familiar enough with what had to be done to resolve what could be a simple job for them.
This is a DIY forum as well and there are certain things that are allowed to be done by an owner or perhaps someone to help him do it.

Unless the Handyman, his neighbor, or whoever else is hired has a plumbing license what I said is completely accurate.
Yes homeowners are allowed to do their own work and repairs but once they hire someone else to do the work there are certain trades that are regulated by the states and require a license to perform the work because of the safety risk involved if improperly performed.

Well I don't want to get into the nitty gritty of it, but personally I wouldn't worry about replacing a washer or replacing the hose bib.

I'm not a licensed plumber and have done every thing from heating boiler replacement to renovating my bathroom and just about everything in between.
And in my state, as in most, you must be a licensed plumber to do most plumbing work, whether your the home owner or not.

OMG, the massive earth-shattering global safety risk of asking a talented friend or neighbor to try to change a worn out washer inside a hose bib, or apparently an old boiler drain that was used as a hose bib.

Ohhhhhh, the humanity!!!!!!!

Illegal??? Yes, the plumbing cops will be dispatched asap!!!!

Back