Shut off home water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Miranda

Reaction score
I have a drip from a ceiling and would like to shut off my water main till the plumber gets here. I tried turning the 2 red valves but they just reduce the water flow temporarily. Any idea what I should be doing to shut off the water completely ?

Attachments

• IMG_5004.JPG
    IMG_5004.JPG
    296.7 KB · Views: 26
Not a plumber, but I do plenty of plumbing on my rental properties.

I am not sure what you mean when you say it shuts the water off temporarily. Does it come back on with full force, as if you never turned the valves off, or does the drip stop for a time, and then start again? Please explain.

In any case, I would suggest turning both valves off, ando then go to your lowest faucet, like your laundry tub in the basement, and turning both hot and cold all the way on. Then go upstairs. And open all faucets, and flushing each toilet. This will allow air into your piping, so the water in the pipes will drain down to the laundry tub. Leave it like this until your plumber arrives, to avoid any further damage.

Once he comes, I would suggest having him change both of those red handle valves to "ball valves".

In the meantime, what's above the ceiling area at the leak?
For example:
A bathroom?
Baseboard heating?

That water supply with the pressure reducing valve looks a bit strange to me. Are you sure that's the main source for the entire house? Do you have a water meter in the house?

EDIT: Also, you may want to consider poking a small hole through the ceiling to allow water to run out, in an effort to minimize ceiling damage.

Thanks all for your feedback, I think my indoor shutoff value that I posted a picture of is not working right and as per recommendation from Jeff will get it replaced. There is a bathroom above the leak. A plumber came today morning, he used thermal imaging but was not able to detect the source. My insurance company is now going to send someone else who specialize in finding leaks. For now I have shutoff the outside main valve which is next to the meter.

Thanks all for your feedback, I think my indoor shutoff value that I posted a picture of is not working right and as per recommendation from Jeff will get it replaced. There is a bathroom above the leak. A plumber came today morning, he used thermal imaging but was not able to detect the source. My insurance company is now going to send someone else who specialize in finding leaks. For now I have shutoff the outside main valve which is next to the meter.
Did you happen to get the plumbers confirmation on those valves not working right? Chances are those are gate valves and I would agree if they are faulty to replace as suggested. But if they were not, why would you bother.

Did you happen to get the plumbers confirmation on those valves not working right? Chances are those are gate valves and I would agree if they are faulty to replace as suggested. But if they were not, why would you bother.
I agree with you, will take a confirmation from Plumber for need to replace.

if there is a bathroom above have you....checked above does it happen when the water is running when there is no one in the bathroom....is there water around the base if the toilet....is your shower valve dripping does it leak worse when you use itcan you remove some shower valve trim to see how it acts when running????lastly have you checked your sink for leaks on the floor????run the water see if it leaks.....do all of these things one at a time to rule out each fixture

if there is a bathroom above have you....checked above does it happen when the water is running when there is no one in the bathroom....is there water around the base if the toilet....is your shower valve dripping does it leak worse when you use itcan you remove some shower valve trim to see how it acts when running????lastly have you checked your sink for leaks on the floor????run the water see if it leaks.....do all of these things one at a time to rule out each fixture
another thing to check is your tile/grout/caulking condition ….has your tub drain loosened over the years …..

Latest posts

Back