Showerhead holder

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing that the flow restrictor for those shower/hose assemblies is likely at the end of the hose that connects to a water pipe.
For your flow test, did you disconnect the shower head off the hose or did you disconnect the entire hose assembly? I'm thinking you may have still been going through a flow restrictor if only the shower head was removed. If that's the case, do it again. Then what you get for unrestricted flow is roughly what you could expect to get from 2 shower heads(minus a tad) connected to that same source. While you're at it, look to see if there's a removable flow restrictor(may look like a washer with a small hole in it as well as anything else that appears to be restricting the flow, and is removable.
Were you thinking doing something like what Mikey shows in post #9 above? EDIT: (oops! Didn't realize that was a diverter and not capable of 1 in and 2 out. I guess a tee would have to be considered.)

Last edited:
I do see a black part inside the hose and the test did go through that. However I also posted numbers for the bottom nozzle which isn't connected to any hose so would those numbers suffice?

Yes post 9 is something I can try if it'll allow me to operate two showers simultaneously with water coming out of each of them at the same time

also what 1.5gpm low pressure shower head do you recommend? I'd like to test one for a few days and see if it suits me because if I'm only getting 2.64gpm in total, then dividing by 2 is little lesser than 1.5

Yes post 9 is something I can try if it'll allow me to operate two showers simultaneously with water coming out of each of them at the same time
I may have screwed up; most diverters just divert - they don't share. You may need to add a cross, which you might have to build yourself to match the other fittings. I'd use 1/2" PVC fittings to start with, and if things work OK, look harder for chrome.

so any ideas guys if I should do this or my gpm is too low to have a satisfactory result with 2 showers running at the same time?

There are at least 2 parameters that must be determined to make a judgement of available flow through 2 shower heads simultaneously. Also, whether the flow restrictor can be removed from the shower assembly, which would increase the flow through the shower heads.

One thing that will affect the available flow through 2 heads is....how it will be piped.
For example using the existing shower valve and teeing in 2 shower head assemblies. (Assembly = 1 head and the associated flex hose.) In which case, would you just drape the hose across to the other shower holder???
Do you plan on changing out the existing shower valve and/or do anything behind the shower walls?

I have no idea if that bottom nozzle has a flow restriction or not.

I was trying to get the flow available from the shower control valve, before being restricted by the devices they use to limit the flow through a shower head. And it sounds like there may very well be a restrictor in that hose connection by what you said. So as far as I am concerned, it appears that you haven't tested the flow from the shower valve without the restriction of the shower assembly.

i'll try to remove the flow restrictor and test again. I checked the bottom nozzle and don't see any black part inside there so assuming there isn't a flow restrictor - thx

Not totally sure I understand. Which is the bottom nozzle? The one you say is 1 foot from the floor?
If you know how you're going to revise it to allow simultaneous flows then maybe we could estimate the resultant flow from each running together.
Would you be somehow tying into the downstream side of your existing shower control valve?
If you're only getting 2.64 gpm from the top hose without the shower head it doesn't sound promising. On the other hand, I have no clue where the flow restriction device is located on those hand held hose showers. I was thinking in terms of a flow test without the restriction of the shower assembly. For all I know, it may have still been restricted with just the shower head alone removed.
Does the shower valve incorporate a diverter to select either the shower or the the bottom nozzle? How is that 2nd shower head controlled? As you can see I'm confused.
foot wash spout

so what do you guys think?
I think you should just pick up a tee and put it at either shower connection and connect your 2 existing shower assemblies and see what you get. Chances are that you will get more than 2.72gpm out of the 2 combined showers going through that tee.
Then you can decide if it would be worth going to shower heads designed for lower flow rates.
Personally, I have no idea what to expect out of a shower head deigned for a lesser flow.
Whatever you do just make sure if you're running 2 heads simultaneously that you don't have any flow restrictors anywhere.

EDIT: The shower heads designed for lesser flow may just be more restricted. Are you thinking they would perform better with a lesser pressure? I wouldn't think so. Apparently they do advertise heads that perform better on low pressure applications. What they do, other than maybe removing any flow restrictions, I wouldn't know. Less holes maybe for harder spray?

Last edited:
if only a single shower head is running i'm asuming it'll get the full power 2.72gpm right or do I need to get some sort of adjustable Tee to direct flow

I may also try to replace my current shower head with a low pressure 1.5 gpm to see how i like it before doing the tee project

Anybody? sorry been dragging this thread but want to get this done and appreciate everybody's inputs!

I think you should just pick up a tee and put it at either shower connection and connect your 2 existing shower assemblies and see what you get. Chances are that you will get more than 2.72gpm out of the 2 combined showers going through that tee.
Then you can decide if it would be worth going to shower heads designed for lower flow rates.
Personally, I have no idea what to expect out of a shower head deigned for a lesser flow.
Whatever you do just make sure if you're running 2 heads simultaneously that you don't have any flow restrictors anywhere.
EDIT: The shower heads designed for lesser flow may just be more restricted. Are you thinking they would perform better with a lesser pressure? I wouldn't think so. Apparently they do advertise heads that perform better on low pressure applications. What they do, other than maybe get rid of showerhead flow restrictions, I wouldn't know. Less holes maybe for harder spray?
Small and few water jet holes may be one of the reasons, but the reason for the water pressure cannot be ruled out. In addition to removing the water flow restrictor, increasing shower water pressure is another possible solution.

Latest posts

Back