Showerhead holder

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polat2

Reaction score
guys - this is a new house and whoever installed the shower head did not put a compatible showerhead holder. Hence, even a slight tough of towel and the shower head falls which is a risk to small children in the bath rub. I need to either buy a proper holder (option 1) or simply buy a new shower head which comes with a compatible holder (option 2). However, most showerheads I'm seeing in home depot don't have this kind of holder. Can someone recommend brands or preferably a direct online link for both options? Would greatly appreciate it

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fi5hv7rkccb2cpr/AABLrjGtUBPCYT4VNNQsJBF8a?dl=0

Thx

It appears that the holder is installed upside down. I think you can just unscrew the screw visible in the second picture, and rotate the receiver on the bracket.

I turned it upside down and it doesn't fit - I need another holder, hopefully adjustable that will fit this fine and if not, an entire shower assembly that comes with this type of holder

will the Kohler K-98362-CP you posted fit the rod behind it which is fixed to the shower tub - I guess it's standard size? Also any cheaper good options?

as a side question, I have the same shower head on the other side of the tub but only one can be operational at a time. Is there a new shower head I can purchase which will connect both together and allow both showers to operate at the same time

Is there a new shower head I can purchase which will connect both together and allow both showers to operate at the same time
You could put hand-held valves in series at the shower arm and then run all heads in any combination you want. This is a Delta U4922.

shopping

as a side question, I have the same shower head on the other side of the tub but only one can be operational at a time. Is there a new shower head I can purchase which will connect both together and allow both showers to operate at the same time

yes/no/ maybe. no [hows that for a firm answer?]
if you split the water it will diminish the volume at both heads when used together

if you split the water it will diminish the volume at both heads when used together
...but if the showerheads are both low-flow 2gpm I'll bet his plumbing and shower valve could easily supply 4gpm. Or even 5gpm for older showerheads.

if your shower valve only puts out 3.8 gpm then you add 2 heads at 2 gpm?
you need to check brand name of shower valve,

..their in lies the science of the matter
we are not talking pressure, pressure is constant from the city pump station and is not going to change.

what you are dealing with is volume of water at the point of service
if you can fill one 1 gallon bucket of water in 5 minutes with one shower head
then you add another shower head, the amount [volume] of water is going to be diminished.
Both heads will not fill both buckets in 5 minutes
you will fill 2 buckets with a 1/2 gallon of water each

Last edited:
if your shower valve only puts out 3.8 gpm then you add 2 heads at 2 gpm?
you need to check brand name of shower valve,

..their in lies the science of the matter
we are not talking pressure, pressure is constant from the city pump station and is not going to change.

what you are dealing with is volume of water at the point of service
if you can fill one 1 gallon bucket of water in 5 minutes with one shower head
then you add another shower head, the amount [volume] of water is going to be diminished.
Both heads will not fill both buckets in 5 minutes
you will fill 2 buckets with a 1/2 gallon of water each
You weren't doing too awfully bad until that last line.
Only the static pressure is constant. The flowing pressure(dynamic/residual pressure) varies with the flow, and vice versa.
Without calculating pressure losses through all the associated devices, I believe it would be safe to say you would flow more than 1 gallon out of the 2 shower heads. :(

If i take off the showerhead and just see how fast the hose fills a gallon of water, will that number help you folks help me determine whether doing this project will work? This is a 99 year old home with pipes that have never been changed so really not sure if pressure is optimal

Well for what it's worth...
A shower head that is designed to limit the flow to 2.5 gpm is designed to do so based on an 80 psi pressure. As I understand it.
So you'll probably never get the design flow of the shower head anyway.
If you have 2 shower heads being fed through a common valve, the best that you can expect, is flow capabilities of that valve minus friction loss results of about say 10 ft of 1/2" pipe. So if you have say 50 psi to the valve, you'd have about 49.5 PSI at the heads. Not a substantial difference. The big factor will be your house pressure.

It would be interesting to see what your flow rate is through one, with and without the shower head.
Probably not the case but it used to be that the flow restriction in a shower head was removable. If that was the case that would be an option to increase your shower head flow.

Here are the results and below is an image of the full bathroom. There are two hoses connecting to two showerheads. On the right side is also a small nozzle perhaps meant for filling up buckets (in pic it's hidden by the shower and maybe 1 foot from the floor). Again, I'm trying to evaluate if I have enough water pressure to somehow configure the bathrooms with two showerheads that can work simultaneously for a couple

2.25gpm from shower

2.64gpm from top hose after disconnecting shower head

2.95gpm from bottom nozzle

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3rrr7t70rsak7uf/Photo Jan 09, 8 22 36 AM.jpg?dl=0

Not totally sure I understand. Which is the bottom nozzle? The one you say is 1 foot from the floor?
If you know how you're going to revise it to allow simultaneous flows then maybe we could estimate the resultant flow from each running together.
Would you be somehow tying into the downstream side of your existing shower control valve?
If you're only getting 2.64 gpm from the top hose without the shower head it doesn't sound promising. On the other hand, I have no clue where the flow restriction device is located on those hand held hose showers. I was thinking in terms of a flow test without the restriction of the shower assembly. For all I know, it may have still been restricted with just the shower head alone removed.
Does the shower valve incorporate a diverter to select either the shower or the the bottom nozzle? How is that 2nd shower head controlled? As you can see I'm confused.

wasn't planning to use the bottom nozzle for anything but just listed here since i tested it

shower control is through a knob - you move the knob clockwise and it starts off the shower to its right and vice versa. I'm not sure what's behind the tub because it's unreachable - do you think there's some sort of restriction device behind? This is a house old so isn't 2.64gpm standard for an old house? I can do the same test in the kitchen sink which seems to have the fastest flow and test there or would it be better to do it in the basement bathroom given the house water connection comes in through the basement?

Latest posts

Back