Showerhead holder

Discussion in 'Showers and Tubs' started by polat2, Jan 5, 2019.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Jan 10, 2019 #21

Diehard

Diehard

Diehard

I'm guessing that the flow restrictor for those shower/hose assemblies is likely at the end of the hose that connects to a water pipe.
    For your flow test, did you disconnect the shower head off the hose or did you disconnect the entire hose assembly? I'm thinking you may have still been going through a flow restrictor if only the shower head was removed. If that's the case, do it again. Then what you get for unrestricted flow is roughly what you could expect to get from 2 shower heads(minus a tad) connected to that same source. While you're at it, look to see if there's a removable flow restrictor(may look like a washer with a small hole in it as well as anything else that appears to be restricting the flow, and is removable.
    Were you thinking doing something like what Mikey shows in post #9 above? EDIT: (oops! Didn't realize that was a diverter and not capable of 1 in and 2 out. I guess a tee would have to be considered.)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  2. Jan 11, 2019 #22

polat2

polat2

polat2

I do see a black part inside the hose and the test did go through that. However I also posted numbers for the bottom nozzle which isn't connected to any hose so would those numbers suffice?

Yes post 9 is something I can try if it'll allow me to operate two showers simultaneously with water coming out of each of them at the same time

3. Jan 11, 2019 #23

polat2

polat2

polat2

also what 1.5gpm low pressure shower head do you recommend? I'd like to test one for a few days and see if it suits me because if I'm only getting 2.64gpm in total, then dividing by 2 is little lesser than 1.5

4. Jan 11, 2019 #24

Mikey

Mikey

Mikey

I may have screwed up; most diverters just divert - they don't share. You may need to add a cross, which you might have to build yourself to match the other fittings. I'd use 1/2" PVC fittings to start with, and if things work OK, look harder for chrome.

5. Jan 11, 2019 #25

TomFOhio

TomFOhio

TomFOhio

Professional Professional

Are you able to run all those body sprays at one time plus the shower head?

6. Jan 13, 2019 #26

polat2

polat2

polat2

so any ideas guys if I should do this or my gpm is too low to have a satisfactory result with 2 showers running at the same time?

7. Jan 13, 2019 #27

Diehard

Diehard

Diehard

There are at least 2 parameters that must be determined to make a judgement of available flow through 2 shower heads simultaneously. Also, whether the flow restrictor can be removed from the shower assembly, which would increase the flow through the shower heads.

One thing that will affect the available flow through 2 heads is....how it will be piped.
    For example using the existing shower valve and teeing in 2 shower head assemblies. (Assembly = 1 head and the associated flex hose.) In which case, would you just drape the hose across to the other shower holder???
    Do you plan on changing out the existing shower valve and/or do anything behind the shower walls?

I have no idea if that bottom nozzle has a flow restriction or not.

I was trying to get the flow available from the shower control valve, before being restricted by the devices they use to limit the flow through a shower head. And it sounds like there may very well be a restrictor in that hose connection by what you said. So as far as I am concerned, it appears that you haven't tested the flow from the shower valve without the restriction of the shower assembly.

8. Jan 13, 2019 #28

polat2

polat2

polat2

i'll try to remove the flow restrictor and test again. I checked the bottom nozzle and don't see any black part inside there so assuming there isn't a flow restrictor - thx

9. Jan 16, 2019 at 12:26 PM #29

SHEPLMBR

SHEPLMBR

SHEPLMBR

not a Junior Member anymore! Sponsor

foot wash spout

10. Jan 20, 2019 at 1:37 AM #30

polat2

polat2

polat2