Shower won't shut off!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadesofblonde

Reaction score
So hubby and I are replacing what was a tiny neo angle shower with a tub sized shower at our cabin (which is a 4 hr drive away... this is important). We gutted the old shower, purchased a basic Delta valve/faucet and proceeded to re-plumb! With the new rough in in place, we tiled over the plumbing, proceeded to install the balance of the new plumbing (cartridge, bonnet, etc). In the process of installing this I was fiddling with the cartridge to change the hot water limit stop location, and promptly dropped it on the tile floor! Needless to say the cartridge blew apart, springs and rubber washers flying everywhere! Fine... laugh!

I consulted the internet on how to put the pieces back together (after a big freak out by the hubby!). I'm fairly certain I put all the pieces back where they belonged, but after we installed the cartridge, handle, etc, and turned on the shower, it ran ok... but the water wouldn't shut off! Not even a little... NOT AT ALL!

Needless to say we pulled the cartridge out, turned the water off at the shut off set screws. Now that I'm back in town I sheepishly made a trip to the plumbing wholesaler and purchased a new cartridge. Hoping to get back next weekend and try my luck as a plumber again.

But until then........ my question to the plumbers here is... Is it the cartridge that is the problem? Or could there be some underlying other issue, like could something have gone REALLY WRONG in the rough in that will only be able to be fixed if we pull all the tile off the wall and start over??

Any/all advice is more than welcome. Thanks!

sounds like its the cartridge. I think delta has alignment nubs on the cartridge that line up with slots on the valve body. a picture would help us help you. did you make sure the valve in the wall has hot on the left?

As others have said, it is all in the cartridge. The seats and springs that fell out are the main part for water control, it is likely that you simply have a spring installed backwards (they are slightly conical) or that one of the seats has twisted sideways on you.

Purchase of a new cartridge should not have been necessary, Delta faucets have a lifetime warranty and the replacement cartridges should be free.

If the valve stem is still there use a pair of vice grips or pliers to clamp onto the stem and turn it to the right until the water stops.

Perhaps who ever installed the shower put turn off valves in the water lines. If you have access to the bottom area of the shower, basement or crawl space look for the valves. If the shower is a stand alone unit look for an access area around the base of the unit. Otherwise you should l have them installed. Good luck...

Sounds like your water pressure has increased. This could be due to a pressure regulator unit going bad (located near the main valve or outside in a manhole). I think your best bet is turn the main off, and call a plumber.
Due to the high pressure the water appears to be getting past the packing string that is in the valve (if your valves has it). The valve will have to be taken apart and repacked. That will be the plumbers job.

Plumbing Baltimore

If the valve stem is still there use a pair of vice grips or pliers to clamp onto the stem and turn it to the right until the water stops.

Perhaps who ever installed the shower put turn off valves in the water lines. If you have access to the bottom area of the shower, basement or crawl space look for the valves. If the shower is a stand alone unit look for an access area around the base of the unit. Otherwise you should l have them installed. Good luck...

Sounds like your water pressure has increased. This could be due to a pressure regulator unit going bad (located near the main valve or outside in a manhole). I think your best bet is turn the main off, and call a plumber.
Due to the high pressure the water appears to be getting past the packing string that is in the valve (if your valves has it). The valve will have to be taken apart and repacked. That will be the plumbers job.

Plumbing Baltimore

:confused::confused:You sound like one of those big package store experts that thinks he knows what he's talking about but really doesn't have a clue.
Packing string:confused: There's no packing string in a Delta cartridge.
And you don't force a valve closed with vise grips.:eek:
If this guy comes a knocking at your door RUN!!!

:confused::confused:You sound like one of those big package store experts that thinks he knows what he's talking about but really doesn't have a clue.
Packing string:confused: There's no packing string in a Delta cartridge.
And you don't force a valve closed with vise grips.:eek:
If this guy comes a knocking at your door RUN!!!

Well, I wasn't going to say it but...there you go.

I hope this was simply an issue of misreading the original post, since some of the advice seems to have no bearing at all on the issue (force close an already closed valve?)

Anyways....

I forgot to mention that you may have broken the pressure balance thingamabobber (I'm sure delta has some technical term I don't know) inside the cartridge. If you shake the cartridge back and forth you should hear a knocking sound, like a small pendulum smacking the inner walls of the cartridge. If you don't hear that, the balance thingamobobber has come loose and the cartridge will need to be replaced (which you are already doing...but still).

If it smells like spam, please push the warning icon and a mod will check it out. I'm off to Memphis in an hour, so I don't have time, but there are others who could check out the newbie. You all be safe out there!

Thanks guys (ladies?) for all the input. I read them first with relief, then with HORROR... and finally with a chuckle!

We were back at the cabin this weekend with the new cartridge in hand, and am proud to report I know have a shower that turns on ... AND OFF!

And yes, even with a warranty on parts, does that count if I smash the part on a tile floor BEFORE installation? My conscience made me buy a new one.

Off to the next plumbing challenge... a Delta flange that is siliconed to a sink basin, with an incompatible tail piece and pivot.

My life is currently a plumbing nightmare....

There is a handy product called "silicone-b-gone" which is meant to clean silicone residue from fixtures. I have found it also works well to soften old silicone to help remove things. That might help get you started :p

Back