Shower/Tub valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rongr32

Reaction score
I am trying to replace a shower valve and when I go to take out the stem valve there is a plastic casing that is stuck inside of the valve pipe and I don't know how to get it out. It looks like the plastic casing is threaded and somehow stuck. So the stem you can pull out but that casing is stuck in the pipe. Any ideas on how to get that out?

Without pics, it sounds like it might be a plastic Moen cartridge, the plastic part sometimes fails to come out with the stem.

Pics will tell the tale.

Without pics, it sounds like it might be a plastic Moen cartridge, the plastic part sometimes fails to come out with the stem.

Pics will tell the tale.
I wish I could take a pic but the pipe opening is about 1/2 diameter. And it's the valve stem that switches frim tub to shower head. So when you turn the nozzle water comes from the shower head and tub faucet. So frustrating when you go to change it and the stem comes out and you go to put a new one in and it won't because that plastic is still in there. I don't know if I need some type of tap set or how to get it out.

Your description is sort of confusing, but now it sounds like you are describing a diverter valve.

Without pictures, I think you will be on your own here.

Get a flashlight, hold your phone steady, take a whole bunch of pictures from close, far, different angles, and post the good ones.

Or call a pro, which seems to be where this is headed.

You said "...you go to put a new one in and it won't because that plastic is still in there." Sounds like you already have a replacement. Take a picture of that.

Back