shower tub drain help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r3dbrut3

Reaction score
Hello,

Our contractors made numerous mistakes on our remodel. Unfortunately, we had to part ways with our contractors accordingly. At this point in time we are fixing each issue therein we are at the shower/tub drainage issue.

They inserted the gasket on top of the tub underneath the strainer; the issue here is from everything I've read is that the gasket actually belongs between the pvc pipe and the underside of the tub with a bead of plumbers putty going around the base of the strainer.

With that said, and because the gasket was not aligned (actually sticking out from the side which is what caught our attention) I removed the strainer. Unfortunately, the issue now is that the drainage pipe is misaligned and sits to low; in other words it is presenting a major challenge to pull the drain far up enough for me to make a connection with the strainer to be able to tighten the strainer. Is there a tool or method of doing this? I am fresh out of ideas. I've also even tried picking up a Jones Stephens Tailpipe extension but its too big.

I've considered taking the top overflow cover off; however, I am afraid if I do that the system will be completely loose and will result in more heartache.

One further note; this is post tub/tile installation. I do not want to rip out tiles, durock, and tubs if I dont have to.

Thanks,
Jose

Yeah. Can you get behind, or underneath it? Have someone hold it in place while you tighten it up from above.

doesn't the drain screw out ??? Once you have it out, maybe you can pull UP on the PVC, and maybe get something underneath it, to hold it up to the bottom of tub, after you put the gasket where it should be ??

tool like this, is used to screw it out using the cross-bars....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Double-Ended-Tub-Drain-Wrench-16PL0128/304217585

I am not a PRO, they will chime in with better ideas, most likely !!!

Thank you for the responses so, after trying different methods I ended up using a shoe string to pull the bottom pvc pipe close enough to the bottom of the tub. Where I was able to connect the strainer, at which point the waste and overflow pipe shifted up and out of alignment.

so, i called a plumbing company and spoke with them. Should have someone out here tomorrow. Fortunately the bathroom drain can be accessed from my room so I won’t have to do anything to the tiles, durock, or Tub.

Latest posts

Back