Shower Transfer Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what type of stem valve this is. It's for a shower transfer valve to switch the water from the overhead to the handheld. The stem is 1" long. It's getting stuck and I need to replace it.

Attachments

• 20220106_145516.jpg
    20220106_145516.jpg
    810.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220106_145509.jpg
    20220106_145509.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
You have a Moen shower valve. I’m not sure by looking at your transfer stem what brand it is.

You need to remove that transfer valve cartridge from that valve and take another pic.

You have a Moen shower valve. I’m not sure by looking at your transfer stem what brand it is.

You need to remove that transfer valve cartridge from that valve and take another pic.
Thank you. I simply want to replace the cartridge. When I try to unscrew it using a wrench on the brass hex nut it does not budge. There is also cement around the outer ring which I assume is the valve sleeve.

It should unscrew out of the valve body. It’s just tight. Turn counterclockwise

Ok. I'm going to spray some PB blaster on it and then try in a bit. Will post a new pic once I have it out.

it’s not corroded, it’s tight. A lot of factories used air impact wrenches to assemble valves.

here’s the wrench I use.
B605FACA-C03E-4116-B9FD-4ACE9C7F18AD.jpeg

Thank you. How deep are those sockets and how long is that rachet?

i think it’s 18”, the sockets are the deepest you can buy at the box stores. Not sure how deep it is. It’s 1/2” drive
If the stem is too long I don’t use the ratchet, I use a pipe wrench.

I was able to get the valve out but there are not any markings on it. Any idea what type of valve it is?

Attachments

• 20220111_145159.jpg
    20220111_145159.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Google "valve stem identification." There are a couple of good sites that can help you. If the main valve is Moen, start there first. You may be able to shoot some PB Blaster in there and work it a bit to free it up. Moen usually guarantees their parts for life. (If you're the original owner).

Back