Shower temp issues...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamberg

Professional
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a "kids" bath/shower that only gets lukewarm when the Master bath shower is running. The kids bath (2nd floor) is directly above the water heater (basement) and the master bathroom (2nd floor) is on the complete opposite side of the house.

There is an in-law bath/shower directly under the kids bath that does not get affected - only seems to effect the kids bath and only when the master bath shower is on, otherwise the water temp is fine.

Ideas?

Pictures of both the master bath and kids’ shower bath valves would help.

To identify the brand and exact models.

Many shower or tub valves have a high temp limiter built in to the valve or the stem, usually it is a set screw or something behind the main trim plate of the valve on the wall.

When the master bath shower is running, hot water pressure or volume is decreased to the kids’ bath.

If you could move the limiter to a higher setting, that valve could be set to increase the water temperature.

IF it has a limiter on it.

So pics would help.

Or course, you can also raise the temp setting on the water heater, a little at a time, until it is hot enough to feed both showers at once.

Pictures of both the master bath and kids’ shower bath valves would help.

To identify the brand and exact models.

Many shower or tub valves have a high temp limiter built in to the valve or the stem, usually it is a set screw or something behind the main trim plate of the valve on the wall.

When the master bath shower is running, hot water pressure or volume is decreased to the kids’ bath.

If you could move the limiter to a higher setting, that valve could be set to increase the water temperature.

IF it has a limiter on it.

So pics would help.

Or course, you can also raise the temp setting on the water heater, a little at a time, until it is hot enough to feed both showers at once.

(sorry for delay) here are the pics of the valve body in the kids shower. The handle is a Phister (Venturi) but i'm not sure of the valve model.

Nothing obvious on how to adjust temp limit.

Not sure if your valve has this, but this video shows that a disc surrounding the stem can be popped off, then it has three positions it can be placed back on, to give low medium or high limit to the stem being turned hotter.

OMG that video is horrible!?!?

At any rate - I looked over the OX8 schematic and mine does not have the "limit" ring.

I called Phister to get details and they told me it is probably the valve stem - which has a lifetime warranty - and they are sending me out a new one.

(somehow guess they either know about this or have updated the unit and mine is the old version...)

7-10 days to get.

I'll install and report back.

Back