shower spout tight before correct alignment

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffhazel

Reaction score
Installing a new shower and I was screwing the shower head spout into the right angle connector and it got tight but it's pointing at 10 o'clock and it needs to rotate around down to 6 o'clock. If I back it off to 6:00, it is way too loose. I'm surprised I've never had this situation before, but whatever, I have it now.
What's the fix here? I was using some Rectorseal for thread sealant, I've come to dislike teflon tape.

Back in the day we would wrap it with plumber string, add Rectorseal and give another go. This time you should have a better feel for tightness when approaching 3 to 5 o'clock.

Where do you get plumber string these days? Or does it go by some other name?

I had thought of taking a grinder to the end of the spout to shorten it a bit in case it was deeper than the fitting but if plumber string exists I'd try that first.

Where do you get plumber string these days? Or does it go by some other name?

I had thought of taking a grinder to the end of the spout to shorten it a bit in case it was deeper than the fitting but if plumber string exists I'd try that first.

Do not grind the end of the pipe
that will be a huge mistake. threads have starter threads,,,you would be forking up seriously

This is what you do.
remove the shower head, so that only the shower nipple is visible
in the end of the pipe where the shower head screws on.
slide your pliers HANDLE into the nipple
NOW, you have a handle and leverage to turn the nipple with out marring up the chrome finish

A few days have passed and I picked up the spout with the now 'old' Rectorseal on it, which has now 'set up' a bit. I was able to get satisfactory resistance and proper angle. I haven't yet put the shower head on to do a full test but I'm optimistic.

A few days have passed and I picked up the spout with the now 'old' Rectorseal on it, which has now 'set up' a bit. I was able to get satisfactory resistance and proper angle. I haven't yet put the shower head on to do a full test but I'm optimistic.

instead of installing a shower head, install a cap, and test it

Back