Shower sewer smell

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluce05

Reaction score
Approximately two months ago we had a strange sewer small start coming from our master bathroom shower drain in our home. We contacted the plumbing company and they told us to start using bio-clean as there may be some growth in the drain causing it to smell. We did, and followed the directions as stated and the smell got a little better but never went away. After two months I again contacted the plumbing company who came out today and looked at the drain. They checked it with a snake.....no clog. They did a few other test and found nothing. They advised they had no idea what could chase the smell and have never heard of anything of the sort. They advised they did not know what was causing it and could do nothing to help us. Is there, by any means anyone who could help with what the problem could be. The smell is overbearing at times. It only smells when taking a shower. Not any other time.

Put a glass container under the spout fill it up then put it in another room let it sit
For a day then smell it
Do the same with the the shower head
Is it just when you use the hot water????

Where do you live, where is League city?

Are you in a detached house, a townhouse, condo, apartment, trailer home, or what?

Who is “the plumbing company”, is this someone hired by building management, or your landlord, or what?

Do you have city water, well water, water softener, your own water heater or hot water supplied by a large building?

Put a glass container under the spout fill it up then put it in another room let it sit
For a day then smell it
Do the same with the the shower head
Is it just when you use the hot water????

I will try this and let you know what happens. Is there a reason for this?

Where do you live, where is League city?

Are you in a detached house, a townhouse, condo, apartment, trailer home, or what?

Who is “the plumbing company”, is this someone hired by building management, or your landlord, or what?

Do you have city water, well water, water softener, your own water heater or hot water supplied by a large building?

We live in Southern Texas in a single family house. The plumbing company was a highly recommended local company I hired. We are on city water, no softener, our own water heater.

talked to our neighbors and no one is having the same problem with the Smell so I know it is not the city water.

Is the shower on first or second floor?

Is there a room under it, or a basement or crawlspace?

The vent out the roof can be checked for a blockage, could be a bird nest in there, or dead animal stuck inside blocking venting.
Although not common, it can happen.

If there is a venting problem, then the shower drain needs to suck air from the room while the shower is running, and sewer gas can escape from the shower drain as draining water creates higher air pressure in the drain.
And also warm air rises, which would help carry stink up out the shower drain.

And after a shower, the trap might be sucked dry, so sewer gas keeps getting out.

It could also be many other things, like a broken trap or other leak under the shower, causing smelly rot or letting gas out.

Last edited:
Is the shower on first or second floor?

Is there a room under it, or a basement or crawlspace?

The vent out the roof can be checked for a blockage, could be a bird nest in there, or dead animal stuck inside blocking venting.
Although not common, it can happen.

If there is a venting problem, then the shower drain needs to suck air from the room while the shower is running, and sewer gas can escape from the shower drain as draining water creates higher air pressure in the drain.
And also warm air rises, which would help carry stink up out the shower drain.

And after a shower, the trap might be sucked dry, so sewer gas keeps getting out.

It could also be many other things, like a broken trap or other leak under the shower, causing smelly rot or letting gas out.

The house is one story with no basement or crawl space under the home

I am not sure about the hot water. I will have to try it with cold water tomorrow and see. I think I understand where you are headed but if there was something wrong with the hot water heater wouldn’t it smell anywhere in the househot water was being used like for instance the kitchen?

Ok, today while washing cloths my wife says she smelled the same smell coming from the washer when it was adding water. I then went around the house and started all the faucets and could not smell it. Any ideas or does this change anyone’s mind of hating could possibly be?

There are many good questions previously asked, to which you are not answering.

Please read all the earlier posts, and respond thoughtfully.

Good answers require you to fully co-operate.

We are trying to help.

Please help us to help you.

Back