Shower pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbbyMet

Reaction score
I recently had a new home built. There are two showers...one on the first floor and one on the second floor. The second story shower has amazing pressure, but the first floor shower has incredibly low shower pressure..to the point where you can't even use it. I removed the shower head and there was a small amount of debris where it hooked onto the wall, and I was told that was totally normal, so I cleaned it out and even changed the shower head to a brand new one. It did nothing to improve the pressure. Since the second story showers pressure is just fine, I'm assuming there is still something blocking the first floor shower pipes?
How can I go about clearing out the pipes that supply the shower head?

You might need to pull the cartridge out of the faucet and wash it out or maybe replace it. Hopefully that will do it.

You could check for integral stop valves on the valve that are not open completely.

You’re sure it’s not the showerhead ?

All of the above, except the showerhead, is under the decorative trim covering the valve in the wall.

Post some pics of the faucet that has low flow.

>>How can I go about clearing out the pipes that supply the shower head? <<

1. With the water turned off, remove the shower head.
2. Turn the shower valve to On.
3. Turn the water on. Water should come gushing out.
4. Clean up the mess afterwards (if there is any).

Do you have a tub/shower valve that you can divert the water to the spout,that would tell you if the shower pipe is the issue if it's a cartridge or a pressure balancing stem, like twowaxhack mentioned it's could just need to be cleaned

Back