Shower mixing valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanessa1989

Reaction score
Hi

I have a shower mixing valve that I cannot seem to figure out how to adjust. It just doesn’t look like anything I could find online. Can anyone help ? See photo
upload_2020-1-17_10-18-14.jpeg

Hello

The water temperature is only cold so I need to adjust the anti scalding valve but I can’t figure out how.

I will also add that the water pressure is great when turned to the cold but dramatically decreases when I turn to the hot.

Sounds like the pressure balancing module is bad.
Sometimes it is built into the shower cartridge.
However it is often a separate cartridge or module, sitting behind the cartridge, further inside the valve body.

And what is that second valve on top, does that divert water to body sprays or a hand shower or something like that?

Hey there,

thank you! Yes the second valve diverts the water to a hand shower.

do we need to unscrew that last brass piece to get to the other cartridge to adjust?

That top hand shower diverter likely has no effect on hot water output.

That red ring on the lower main valve looks to be a limiter, it has a bump on it that stops the shower valve handle from turning all the way to full hot, usually as a safety to avoid scalding.

I don’t know the brand of valve, but it looks like you can unscrew the brass cap on the main valve by gripping those two flat spots with a big Crescent type wrench, or some really big Channel lock pliers.
To access that red limiter ring.

With the house water off first, of course.

And open the valve to let shower water pressure out, and open a faucet lower down in the house or nearer the meter, to let some water drain out first.

That way less water bubbles out of the valve and less water gets into the wall behind the valve during this procedure.

That red ring can likely be inserted in several positions, to allow more or less movement of the valve handle towards the full hot position.

If the hot water limiter ring adjustment is not the problem, then you need a new cartridge and/or a new pressure balance module, if that is a separate part.

Thank you SO much that is very helpful. We were thinking this, but didn’t want to try it if we weren’t 100% sure.

We will shut off the water and give it a shot.

Thanks again!

I assume Vanessa was looking for a simple tutorial showing how one adjust for flow and temperature settings.

I don't see it anywhere.

Call the company and ask them to send it if it's available.

Latest posts

Back