shower leak on floor

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmars

Reaction score
Any ideas what i can do to fix this without tearing out the shower?

shower drain never backs up, but pipe below it does leak below shower floor and only when taking shower. See pics.

The drain must be leaking. It gets wet inside that wall and with long showers, it leaks out onto the finished floor.

Pic 2 is the lower part of that wall you see in the other pic (red box). With that blue plastic wall cover removed.

wet with every shower where the yellow X is and then gets wet where the black X is with longer showers. shower drain is just a few inches higher and never backs up.

This shower was installed over 10 years ago and this issue just started happening in the last 8 months. Started shortly after i had the outside sewer line replaced and tenant moved in at same time. maybe coincidence. Maybe previous tenants never took long showers.

The other day we did run a snake down the shower drain at least 10 feet. that is well into the new sewer line that was replaced about 8 months ago. Its still getting wet as mentioned above after snakeing.

Attachments

• 5 (4a) (2).jpg
    5 (4a) (2).jpg
    836.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 123_1_1.jpg
    123_1_1.jpg
    995.9 KB · Views: 19
Someone used spray foam instead of concrete to support the shower floor
the floor is plastic and it gives, it moves. spray insulation will allow the floor to move.
SO.. You have a pipe that does not move and a shower that does move
it is going to leak where the 2 meet.

the BS foam needs to be removed and the unit supported by a concrete bed

this shower can not b removed without destroying it. If we were very careful we might save it, but its unlikely. Any other ideas?

It could be leaking from poor assembly where the lower and upper sections were assembled. Caulking the surface of that joint could help if it isn't already.

I have seen leaks like this caused by the tub/ shower diverter lever/cartridge
Fill a bucket of water dump it in the tub then you can will know it is or isn’t the drain
Then you could test the seams like breplum mentioned by wetting them all with out using the shower valve
Then you will have a better idea what going on
I have seen leaks caused by window sills , tile, grout,loose shower trim ,tub spoutsover spray leaking onto the floor,going into the floor

Last edited:
The gasket around the pipe in the strainer might be leaking, a seam on the stall may be leaking, the divert er might be leaking. I think you really need to get someone to take a look at it as its all just guessing right now

The gasket around the pipe in the strainer might be leaking, a seam on the stall may be leaking, the divert er might be leaking. I think you really need to get someone to take a look at it as its all just guessing right now
Ct18 has a great point there are a couple of specialized tools that tighten/remove the tub strainer, a lot of times it won’t leak unless there is weight on it sometimes if the tub flexes that when it could leak but still test those other
Areas all these test don take very long

after i remove the foam, how about cutting some blocks to fit below the pan and using block caulking to hold in place?

Blocks of what?
And what is “block caulking?

Try the various leak tests suggested, before tearing anything out.

Narrow down the source of the leak.

Or call in a pro, stop fooling around.

pic attached with grate removed.

Attachments

• 123_1.jpg
    123_1.jpg
    723.6 KB · Views: 5
noun
noun: block; plural noun: blocks
  1. 1.
    a large solid piece of hard material, especially rock, stone, or wood, typically with flat surfaces on each side.

Is what’s pictured the source of the leak?????????

until we remove the foam, we dont know, but it does look suspicious.

Missing rubber gasket? But it looks like the pipe is below the lower edge of the keyed drain assembly. What about using underwater rated caulking? Any other options that don't require removal of shower pan?

Everything there is 10 years old

until we remove the foam, we dont know, but it does look suspicious.

Missing rubber gasket? But it looks like the pipe is below the lower edge of the keyed drain assembly. What about using underwater rated caulking? Any other options that don't require removal of shower pan?

Everything there is 10 years old
I would start simple, rule out all the things that poster have listed above, if you think it’s the strainer it can e tightened caulking will not fix it,you could put a little dye in and around the strainer see if it leaks thru keep it simple

You have been given good advice about testing various other leak points besides right at the drain, but you are ignoring it.

As Geofd just said, keep it simple, rule out simple leaks first.

Then start tearing stuff out if needed.

Latest posts

Back